Friday, August 20, 2021

Life lessons with Lexie

I don't have children so all I know about raising young ones I have learned from dogs. Della is my role model for much parental behavior. One thing I was surprised to learn was something that Della did when her pups were about the age that Lexie's are now. Della would come in to Daneland when the pups were outdoors and walk among them. Occasionally she would pick one out, knock it down with her big paw and roll it onto it's back, and then place her open mouth over the puppy's entire head and neck. I interpreted this as meaning, "I brought you into this world and I can take you out, don't ever forget it." I expect it teaches the pups to submit to older dogs and that's a valuable lesson that will probably save their cute little butts. Lexie does the same thing with her puppies. She's also been teaching them to play, to explore, to chew and dig, and probably far more things than I can imagine. 

Here are a few pictures of Lexie and pups, along with what I think they may be learning.


Lexie jumping for joy, presumably because her pups are soon to be adopted.


This adventure pup is the first one to fall into the water tank.
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

She quickly climbed back out.

Wetter but no wiser.



Being close is more important than being comfortable.

Swimming is best done on the buddy system.



A little frolic is good for the soul.

Always run with a good gang.


Mom can always lay down the law.


You can run, but you can't hide from your mother.



Include some leafy greens in your diet.




Find a few good people you can trust and rely on.

Don't be afraid to expose your vulnerable side to those few people.




Hanging out with friends in the shade is a great way to spend the day.




No comments: