Friday, August 27, 2021

We have closure!

Thanks to Cody and his crew from The Virginia Fence Company we have fence along the front of the road in front of the house now, and a gate that we can close. The pasture part of the fence won't be finished until next week, but at least I'm able to let Della, Serena, and new shepherds, Max, and Arby out to run in the yard. It's nicely done too. It's costing an arm and a leg. I think they mostly do large agricultural properties probably owned by rich folk in Orange County, so they are expensive but they do good work. I don't know that they are more expensive than fence companies that do similar work, but they were the only ones I found to contact who responded and took the job. I'm very happy that they have this much done in three days and all the posts are already up for the part across the pasture as well. They worked longer today to get the yard area complete, which I really appreciated, especially in this heat.

Della understood the significance of this stage of completion. She came out with me to inspect the fence. Serena was happy to get out to play again but I don't think she understood why. I took the new shepherds out too, because they need some time even walking around the big open space as we begin their weight loss program and their new lives. They seemed to enjoy it too. They had a nice big yard in their former home but didn't get to spend a lot of time outside from what I was told. 

The male puppies got neutered today. The four that are now fixed will go to their new homes on Sunday. Athena will go back to her home on Sunday. So we will be back to nine dogs (single digits, Clay), plus just two pups. The final two get spayed on Monday and will go home next Wednesday, I believe. By that time all the new fencing should be complete. 

This was a big home improvement project that has been needing to be done for years. The front fence had broken boards, holes, and any dog who wanted to could get through or over it without much effort. We have had a couple fosters in the past few months who have done so. It's now as high as the fence around the rest of the pasture, hopefully tall enough to keep in even Della. 


Melly and Rufus enjoying the shade in the fenced front yard.

Della the farm dog inspecting the new fence.

Rufus

The view from our driveway.

The view from the driveway facing the opposite direction, towards the pasture.


Escaping fosters aside, I've been worrying that Della would go through the fence or over it
when she spots deer or anything interesting. When I was out of town so long last fall she
started wandering on occasion. 

There are still boards to trim, and the tops of the posts will be cut off,
but they got it securely enclosed today and installed the new gate so
we'd have a usable yard this weekend. I was very happy about that.

Della was very happy about it too.


The things I do for this girl.

Rufus and Melly seem more relaxed today. Rufus is becoming rather friendly,
Melly always has been. I will try feeding them tonight.

Della eating apples fallen from the apple tree.

I know I can't ask too much from her in terms of exercise, because I'm afraid
she will hurt herself. We will work the diet and exercise plans simultaneously.


No comments: