Thursday, August 18, 2022

The new bike

I had been thinking about getting a bike that I could ride around in the pasture with the dogs so I would get some exercise as they ran. I saw an Amazon ad for one on sale, and with the $200 credit they give you for signing up for their credit card, it was pretty cheap. It came over a week ago, but it was a while before I got it put together, a while longer before I got it put together correctly, and even then I really couldn't ride it because of my back. Yesterday I had my first pain-free hike so I thought that today was the day to give it a try. 

Once again I was right up against the darkness deadline, but it was still light enough to take Della, Max, and Maya out to the pasture for a run as I rode the trails that I have been keeping mowed down. I started out going downhill so it was easy going, although I was riding the brakes because I didn't really have the confidence to handle the potential speed. Della spotted me moving and came thundering past me, seemingly excited that I had finally learned to move at something close to her speed. That only lasted a short time, however, because I wasn't great at steering while moving fast. I didn't stick strictly to the trails, but neither do the dogs. After all, it's just grass. 

That phrase "it's like riding a bike" meaning that you'll instantly remember how to do it may be bullshit. Yes, I could ride, but over uneven ground, downhill, sitting in an unfamiliar position, it wasn't exactly familiar. And riding uphill? No, that's a different set of leg muscles that I haven't used since I was an undergrad. I walked the bike back up the hill, called the dogs, and called it quits for the evening. 

I'm considering it a victory that I didn't fall off the bike anyway. I think I need to do some road riding to build up my legs and develop my skill handling the bike. 














I know Della is fast, but she was really flying tonight. There was a deer in the pasture; she didn't see it, but I think she was aware of it's presence. I wish I could measure her stride. She extends those legs and flies, only touching down when gravity demands it. 



I'm not sure if this bike riding in the pasture is going to work out as I had imagined. We will see. I may have to cut switchback trails through the grass if I'm ever going to make it back up the hill.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Brent. I’m giving up on Facebook. I hope I can continue to follow your blog here. Florence

Scott Rothe said...

"Yay" on the bike!