Saturday, November 26, 2022

Short single series

I hurt my back a few days ago. I've had a day or two off hiking but today I prescribed myself a therapeutic series of short walks, less than two miles each, with a single dog, no pulling.

I started off the day with Kinley, the Saint Bernard. We started at the trailhead behind the library, just a couple miles from home. As soon as I got her out of the van some man came up to us and wanted to meet her. He had previously had two Saints and he spent a little time loving on Kinley, which they both enjoyed. Kinley might not have been the best choice for the first dog because if she wanted to pull me I couldn't have stopped her, but she was really good. Each step was painful starting out, but gradually things loosened up a bit. We went about a mile and a half and then drove back home.







I put Kinley out in Daneland and then took Paisley. Paisley had the longest walk of all four today, but she was easy on the leash. She didn't pull me at all, but I had to pull her occasionally to keep her moving. Paisley really enjoys our walks and it has helped solidify her bond to me. When we got back home I put her out with Kinley and then took a break, ate and drank a little and rested up for my next walk with the puppy, Kash.










Kash is remarkably good on the leash for the little bit of experience he has had. He doesn't pull at all and the trail helps to keep him focused on moving forward. He got to see horses for the first time today. A group of four riders approached us at an intersection of two trails. Kash barked at first (he barks at everything at first), but I pulled him at least 20' off the trail and then he just stood and watched the horses as they passed. We then went a different direction than I had planned so Kash had about two miles of walking before we finished.







Kash joined the first two in Daneland and I had another break before heading out for my final walk of the day with Twix. We encountered two other horseback riders at the beginning of our walk. They were dismounted, taking a break near the trailhead, and Twix was very reluctant to walk close to them so we could get passed them and enter the trail. With a little encouragement and just a little pulling, we got passed them and after that he was very good on the leash. By this time the pain in my back was much improved but my left hip was, and still is, hurting me. 






6.25 miles for the day

I'm going to spend some time with a heating pad before going to bed. We'll see what hurts tomorrow and plan Sunday's activities accordingly. I walked four of eight dogs today, I think the other four would like their turn tomorrow.

No comments: