Wednesday, November 2, 2022

Reyna walks

Reyna has really settled in here nicely, as they usually do, but then they don't want to leave. I had nine dogs in the house last night because Reese and Turtle had their surgeries yesterday so I kept them in the two crates in the kitchen. That displaced Paisley and Kinley from the kitchen crates. Paisley doesn't really need one so I left her loose in the kitchen and brought Reyna and Kinley up to crates in the office last night. The stairs are new and scary for Reyna. I have to put a leash on her to get her up but she has no problem going up. I have to leash her and pull her to get her started going down, but she'll get the hang of it in another day or so. The two post-op pups are recovering well. I let them out of their crates and into the a/c yard several times a day so at least they are getting some crate training and at least a little indoor experience as they recover. 

I'm not sure if I had hiked with Reyna since she arrived, but I took her and Della out today for a three miler before dark. I used a rope harness on her like I do with Della and she was pretty good. She didn't pull but it did take a while to get her walking steadily forward without stopping to sniff everything we passed that had an interesting smell. She was also inclined to veer off the path at any moment, probably because she was following smells that didn't stick to the trail. The trail we hiked today was pretty well covered in leaves so it's not visually obvious to a new trail walker. Reyna is a smart girl, however, and she figured out that she needed to follow the trail scent, which is probably some mixture of scents from humans, horses, and who knows what. 

Anyway, after the first mile or so we had settled into a formation with Reyna out front, me in the center, and Della bringing up the rear. It worked; we had a good walk and everyone enjoyed it.

Now, I want to talk to some of my old VGSR friends, or any other shepherd lover, who is now without a best friend. Reyna is said to be 7-8 years, which isn't young, but she sure isn't old yet. The estimated age came from a relative of the former owner, how accurate it is, who knows? She doesn't act like an old dog, but she is well past all that puppy bullshit that most of us are too old for. She has four feet and not one of them is in the grave; Reyna still has a lot of living to do and she would like to do it with you. If you want to meet her, I'll drive up to nova and meet you, no obligation, no questions, or expectations. If you're without a dog Reyna may be able to fix that for you and you may be what she needs too. Drop me an email (vadogrescue@gmail.com), text, message, or call me. I'd love nothing more than to place this girl with an old friend. I have made most of my friends by introducing them to their new best friend. I'd like to do that again.























The woods are still beautiful, but there's not a lot of leaf time left in this season.




No comments: