Sunday, August 13, 2023

The revolving door on a hot day

The revolving door has been busy at our house lately. Saturday two former fosters who were boarding with us for a few days (MoDean and Rorschach) went back home. They got along well here but they were happy to go back home, of course. Sunday morning their places were filled by two other dogs who will be boarding with us for a week. One of them is another of Della's puppies, now called Astro, along with a much smaller female dog from the same home, Jemma. 

Later in the morning another former foster (Rocket) who had been with us for a week went back home. The net result is that we are down one dog, bringing us to a total of 10 (plus the three pups), but more changes are on the way. Tomorrow morning I'll be taking Star to a new foster home, and later in the week Star's three puppies will be adopted. 

It was too damn hot today to do much outdoors. I worked outside for a couple hours early this morning, more tree trimming mostly, and late afternoon I went out to water everything again. That's pretty much a daily requirement now. 

I'm pretty sure that Della recognizes her puppies when she sees them, and vice versa.

She immediately went into a play bow and wanted to run and play with Astro. That is unusual for her. Maybe it was the time of day (early morning), or maybe he looks a lot like his daddy, but whatever the reason, Della seemed happy to see him.




They had a brief, but good, run and play session.

Jemma also seemed to fit right in with everyone around here.



As I was taking Rocket out to return him to his owner, I realized that his collar was missing. We went  out to Daneland to look for it but had no luck. I later went up to his crate in my office and found it there, along with a couple of tags that had come off. Eventually dog and everything were returned. 

Rocket was great to have around here this week, particularly for Sherlock who was needing a playmate since Jericho's neuter surgery has him on house arrest.



I kept the puppies in the air conditioned space this afternoon, but Clay and I went out to mess with them. I held each pup and Clay clipped the razor sharp tips off each of their toenails. They were all surprisingly good for it. Then I gave them another dose of de-wormer. Star will get that with her evening meal as well. Pictured above is Pike, below are Angel and then Mack.



At 5:00 p.m. it was still too hot to feed everyone, but they were all needing to get outside for a bit anyway. Star and Jericho went out to the a/c yard. I put the two new boarders, Astro and Jemma, into the dog yard, which had shade and water. Sherlock came out to the larger yard with our dogs to run around while I watered plants. I brought Candace out as well, but let her drag around a 20' nylon line. I kept an eye on her, and on the front gate to make sure she didn't try to get through it. She didn't make an attempt to escape, but she did enjoy exploring and even running around the yard for a while. Sherlock tried to play with her, of course, he will try to play with any and every dog who hasn't told him no. I think Candace even enjoyed it a bit. She certainly didn't seem bothered by him and he was pretty gentle with her. She still has a couple of vertebrae showing on her back, but she has regained a good amount of weight and is about where I think she should be. Her legs aren't that strong so she doesn't need to carry any extra weight, but she is still surprisingly fast when she wants to be.












No comments: