Friday, August 11, 2023

Finally Friday

Between all the dogs, the puppies, and work, it's been a very busy week. I had a little time in the evenings to get some mowing done and the grass has finally dried off to make it possible, so the yard is in good shape for the moment. This evening I did a little more tree trimming, which meant pasture runs for the dogs when I carried it all down to the brush pile. 

This is the last night I'll have MoDean, Rorschach, and Rocket goes home on Sunday. I've been keeping Rocket out in the second half of Daneland with Sherlock during the days. The two boys play well together and I feel better about having Rocket within a six foot fence given his husky genetics. The two Danes, MoDean and Rorschach, are not flight risks and certainly not fence climbers or jumpers. Mo is too bulky to be much of a jumper and Ro doesn't have the rear end strength required. They had a good run out in the pasture this evening though. Della will miss them particularly because of their eating, or non-eating, habits. I think they are accustomed to grazing at home but I can't accommodate that here. I've been putting them out in the dog yard at meal times by themselves with their food. Yesterday morning after everyone had eaten I was going out to collect their bowls and found Della inside the dog yard with the two visiting Danes. She had jumped into the dog yard in order to clean up the food they didn't eat, which was most of it. 

Sherlock will miss Rocket as a play buddy, I'm sure, but Jericho is recovering well from his neuter surgery the other day and should be able to rejoin him soon. My biggest concern about letting Jericho out to play again is that he gets into the water tank, lays down, and ends up carrying much of the water out of the tank dripping from his coat. That's only a concern now because his incision is held together by glue, at least in part, and he's not supposed to get it wet, much less soak in a tub. He and Sherlock may have to settle for indoor play for a few days. Jericho has been hanging out with Star in the kitchen and a/c yard, and that's good for Star's confidence.

After morning feed, I started off the day with a two mile walk with Della.

Rorschach and MoDean like to drink out of the hose while I water plants.

When I was out in the yard watering this morning, a school bus drove by and stopped in front of our house. That struck me as strange since we don't have kids so I went up the fence to talk to the driver. She opened her window and said that they were just wanting to see who was out in the yard this morning. Apparently our dogs are known in the neighborhood. 

Here is Rorschach talking about something. He does that a lot.


Rorschach in the pasture.

Rorschach and MoDean







Paisley and Elvis were out with us too, of course, but they don't show up in any of the pasture pictures.




No comments: