Wednesday, August 23, 2023

Happy's day

I was surprised, but pleasantly so, by how well Joy walked on a leash yesterday morning. Today I took Happy instead and it was much more like what I had expected. I got some nice pictures of her, but they don't show the struggle. My left arm held the leash and it's probably now two inches longer than my right.

As Joy had done initially, Happy wanted to walk in circles and wrap me up in the leash. Happy wasn't so easily dissuaded from doing this, however. She also didn't want to walk, so I often had to drag her to keep her moving forward. She was more fearful than Joy had been and everything was new to her so there was plenty to be afraid of. 

When I could get her to make eye contact or touch my hand we made progress. She liked being touched and seemed to feel reassured by the contact. It wasn't a terrible first walk. It really was about what I had expected from both of them the first time out. Next time will be better and I may bring some treats or peanut butter on a stick or something to keep her moving and take her mind off everything that scares her. At one point we were walking adjacent to an orange, plastic fence that they had put up for parking for the Fluvanna county fair. She absolutely refused to walk on my left because there was nothing between her and that fence. She would walk on my right for that stretch, putting me in the plastic fence danger zone, she was fine with that. 

Both of these girls are going to need some time and training. They've always lived in an outdoor pen and haven't seen much of the world. But they aren't terribly shy or shutdown, so they should come around fairly easily, I hope. At least they are easy keepers and they seem to love people. They sleep in the puppy shed at night, or during the day if they want. They are learning to enjoy the air conditioning and comfortable beds in there. That will make the transition to indoor living easier. 

This morning I walked over to the puppy shed and peeked in the window without making any sound. They were cuddled together asleep on one of the new elevated beds and looked very comfortable. They've been spending the days with Sherlock and Jericho in Daneland and seem to enjoy their company. 














No comments: