Monday, August 14, 2023

Puppy vax, Cat Dog and Jericho, and Star

I started work early this morning because it was already hot and miserable outside, and I had an appointment at Green Dogs late in the morning that would take me away for an hour or so. I loaded up all three puppies in one crate, Jericho in the big crate in back, and Star in the crate across from the puppies, and off we went.



This is Star and today was really about her, but I'll save that till the end of this post.


The puppies got de-wormed again yesterday and today they had their second parvo/distemper vaccine. 

Alandra, one of Elliot's moms, was there and she held Pike.


Mack was up next.

He's looking more and more like a bear cub every day.

Angel was the final pup to get her shot. None of them were phased by it in the least.


Apparently there is someone who may be interested in Jericho. They have a long haired shepherd who is bigger than he is, but they also have a yorkie, don't ask me why. Jericho had not done great when we met a cat last week so I didn't have a very optimistic expectation of how the meeting with the Proctor's Cat Dog would go. Cat Dog snarled at Jericho right off the bat and put him in his place. After that Jericho just avoided him. 




He may be wearing a tie, but he's no gentleman. 
Cat Dog put Jericho in his place immediately.
I must admit a new found, grudging respect for the little dog.

Certainly if Jericho had any better option as a playmate, he'd leave the small dog alone.


But today was really all about Star. The woman who met her last week wants to foster her and hopefully will adopt her if things go well. She brought all four of her dogs along to meet Star today and everything got off to a good start. She went home with her and has already had an appointment with her groomer. Initial reports from the new home sound encouraging but most importantly I think she's aware that Star will be a project and may take a long while to really adjust.

Perhaps a woman will have better luck winning her trust. I took care of her and her puppies for nine weeks but she still never warmed up to me. I took her food four times a day for the first several weeks but she never really seemed to trust me. We did make some progress for sure. In the beginning I had to just herd her into a corner to get a leash on her. At the end I could just walk up to her. Hopefully having learned to at least halfway trust me will make it easier, and faster, for her to adjust to new people in her life now, and even bond with them. 








No comments: