Sunday, September 24, 2023

After the storm

Tropical storm Ophelia passed by here on Saturday. The worst of the wind and rain were east of I-95 so we were on the western, or backside of the storm. We had waves of wind and rain arriving with varying degrees of ferocity throughout the day. We probably had a couple inches of rain all together and some things got blown about by the wind, but it wasn't too bad. It wasn't a day for hiking, however, or anything outdoors for that matter. 

Just after noon I took Bailey over to Green Dogs where a new batch of small dogs were coming in as a result of a hoarding case. I didn't take any, but a vet was on hand so Bailey got her rabies vaccine and Kevin implanted a microchip under her skin. After that we drove into town for Bailey's first brewery visit. It was Decipher's Octoberfest event and the place was packed. She was overwhelmed so she didn't react to all the people or the other dogs with her usual big bark. We made our way over to the table where Clay and others were watching the awards being presented from the Great American Beer Festival in Denver. Bailey was very happy to see Clay's familiar face among the crowd of strangers. I had a good supply of treats on me and passed them to everyone who wanted to meet her. She's very happy to meet any stranger whose first move is to present her with a treat. It was a very big crowd for her first public outing, but she handled it very well. 

By Sunday morning the rain had passed us, so Della and Bailey and I did our regular morning two mile walk at the park. Then we had an exciting outing into town for Covid, flu, and RSV vaccines, combined with a couple other errands. When we got home it was still too wet to do anything useful but it was cool enough that we could still go hiking. I took Bailey again but with Mitch this time. Mitch pulled, a lot, and made me very happy that Della, not Mitch, had been Bailey's model for walking behavior over the past week. If I had been walking her with Mitch, I think she would have been as wild as he was, instead of being as calm as Della on our walks. Pairings matter, especially with a puppy.

I have been neglecting Mitch, however, and I want to get him moved indoors and work on his adoptability this next week. The autumnal equinox happened Friday, I believe, and the days are certainly getting noticeably shorter, but we still had time for one more walk this afternoon, with Elvis and Paisley. 

Chilling in the center of the crowd at Decipher.

The intake scene at Green Dogs Saturday morning.
I think they took in another dozen dogs or so, all getting vaccinated, 
de-wormed, and chipped before going to foster homes.



I love the fact that she's got her foot on mine.


I love this picture of the two of them.

She definitely looks up to Della and she could have a much worse role model.
I wonder if she thinks she will grow to be Della's size some day?

Sunday morning walk.






Sunday afternoon, walking with Mitch.

Because he was pulling, she did too, but not nearly as much. 

Because she's young and impressionable, I'm going to stick with walking her with Della.
Mitch is nice, but he's not a good influence. I do hope they will play together though.

Paisley and Elvis were an easy pair to walk.


I got in six miles total today, which is pretty good for a wet weekend.

Helping me in the kitchen.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Both ears up at the brewery!

Anonymous said...

She’s so beautiful! I think she belongs with you and Clay. 😉