Wednesday, September 27, 2023

Dodger

Welcome Dodger. He's a black lab. He came to Green Dogs today as a transfer from the Humane Society of the United States. He's another survivor from the hoarding case in North Carolina, the same place that Starfish and her pups came from. Green Dogs has now taken in 23 dogs from that situation, I believe, including some of the most problematic and least adoptable ones. 

Dodger is among the last to be placed with a rescue group, having been overlooked and left behind because he's sort of unremarkable, I guess. That's often the case with black dogs, unfortunately. He's been in the HSUS holding facility since early this summer. He wasn't sure what was happening to him today. He came out of the transport crate pretty readily but was very reluctant to get into the crate in my van and then even more reluctant to get out of that crate when we got home. 

I took Della and Bailey along when I went to pick him up. Della likes to visit there because she has fans and there's always something interesting going on. It takes treats to get her back in the van when I'm ready to leave, which could sort of hurt my feelings if I dwelled on it very much. Bailey needs experience meeting new people; her first reaction is always to use her big bark, but everyone there knew how to handle that (ignore it), and she made new friends. Finn gave me a couple of old discs that I can throw for her to see if she's interested in that game.

Back at home, once I finally got Dodger out of the van and into the house, he was a different dog. His tail came up and he seemed pretty happy. I put him out in the a/c yard with Bailey for a while. I don't know when he had last seen grass but he seemed pretty happy out there. Bailey wanted to play with him and I hope that they will be playing by tomorrow. 

I have no idea about his original name, if he even had one. HSUS had called him Digger, but that is not a name with a positive connotation for prospective adopters. We are calling him Dodger now. He's about three years old, neutered male, lab or lab mix I would say. He went into a crate in the kitchen without any problem and seemed to appreciate the security and comfort. Welcome to rescue, Dodger, tomorrow will be a brand new day.






Meeting Della

Meeting Bailey

He didn't want to leave the crate in my van when he got home.
All the other dogs came by to say hello, but he wouldn't get out.
I finally had to insist.

Meeting Elvis

With Paisley and Bailey trying to get him to play.

New collar, tag, and a trailing leash.
Tail up and seeming much happier out in the a/c yard at home.



I think he will be fine.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lucky Dodger to have landed with you.