Saturday, September 16, 2023

Mitch and Bailey

I took Mitch to an adoption event at Natural Pet Essentials from noon to 2:00 p.m. on Saturday. Mitch loved every minute of it. This little guy really likes people, especially people who can be hustled for treats. He had a good time and must have left with a full belly after two hours. It was a nice day but still was rather warm in the sun, especially for a black dog. But he found shade where he could and we spent a good amount of time in the cool store.




Remember Elliot? He was the only male pup from Allison's litter, born two years ago on Monday. He also is the one who was diagnosed with Wobbler syndrome and had surgery a while back. Thanks to everyone who contributed to that extraordinary effort, he has made a great recovery and is now living a normal Dane life. He came to the store to shop and visit and he is always as happy to see me as I am to see him.


Mitch and Elliot



When 2:00 p.m. rolled around we packed up but didn't head home. Mitch and I drove down to Natural Bridge to meet a new foster. Well, I drove and Mitch slept the entire way. I didn't hear a peep out of him. He was sleeping off all the food and excitement of the event.

The Natural Bridge exit off of I-81 is where I met my doggie dealer many times over the past many years. She called me on Thursday about a dog a neighbor of hers had found, in very bad condition somewhere along a road. That neighbor took the dog in and with food and water she began to make a remarkable recovery. She recovered enough that she became difficult to contain and apparently was also difficult with the other dogs in the home. She is now here and we are calling her Bailey.

Bailey is still a pup, maybe 6-8 months old? She appears to be at least partly Belgian Malinois, or perhaps just some sort of mixed breed shepherd. She's got one ear up and one down, a situation that is likely permanent, probably due to malnutrition at an early stage of her life. When she was found she was infested with ticks and fleas. She's been treated with Frontline but still had fleas today so I gave her a Capstar before taking her out of the van. 

She barked at me fearfully when she first saw me and had a lot of say but I told her that I had heard it all before, many times from many shepherds. She warmed up to me in a few minutes and rode home beautifully in a crate in the van. She has met the resident dogs and she's in a crate next to Happy tonight. I stopped by Green Dogs on the way home and Erika gave her a parvo/distemper vaccine. I gave her a dose of Panacure with her dinner.

She's scared and overwhelmed, of course, but she's doing well and we will take things slowly with her over the next several days. I sure wish Trooper was around to do his scared girl dog whisper thing that always seemed to calm them down and let them know that everything would be all right. 







Elvis and Bailey

Bailey, meeting with Maya and Della. Happy is in the crate behind.

Elvis again.

Paisley and Bailey outside.




1 comment:

Risa said...

First rule of rescue: There's always another one waiting to come in.
Wishing you and Clay and the entire pack a joyous, healthy, and prosperous 5784.
(That's the Jewish year that started yesterday.)