Wednesday, September 13, 2023

Jericho, the German Shedding Dog

Jericho's fondness for the water tank and the natural inclination to lay on bare earth in the shade on hot days has taken its toll on his coat. Plus, it's shedding season. All of that added up to make it bath day for Jericho.

The fact that he loves the water made it easy. He had no objection to being soaked down, soaped up, and brushed as I rinsed him off. He wasn't crazy about having the water sprayed into his ears, but he really tolerated that better than I had any right to expect. The tough part came in trying to comb through a lot of long matted fur on his back end. The first three quarters of the dog look magnificent. The hind quarter will need some continued work over the next few days. Some of that I think I'll have to cut off. He was remarkably tolerant of me pulling a rake through his coat and even pulling out some of that matted fur, but a couple of times he told me that I was pushing my luck. 

I've got a few days to get him looking good before he meets a new adoption prospect on Sunday. 

I took Jericho on the Wednesday morning walk. 


You can see that the fur on his rear end is looking clumped.

Jericho has one errant gray whisker that really stands out.
I think I'll snip it off.

Soap and water? No problem. Bring it on.

I had him tethered but he made no effort to get away from me throughout the bath.

Afterwards it was ball time.


I emptied his water tank and just put out a bucket of water so he can drink but not swim outside for the next few days.

I let him bring the ball in the house where he will be spending most of his time now that he's clean.

He's well mannered indoors and has no problem being crated.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

He's so fluffy when he's clean. Hope his adoption meet and greet goes well.