Tuesday, October 10, 2023

A few pictures of a few dogs

It's been chilly the last few nights, so instead of heating the puppy palace in Daneland, I've been bringing all three fosters, Sherlock, Dodger, and Mitch, inside at night once again. Sherlock and Dodger occupy the two large crates in the kitchen. Mitch goes up to the office in a crate next to Bailey. It makes for a longer morning and evening process, walking each dog individually, but it's good for them to be inside.

Bailey and Mitch

Dodger made it difficult on me last night. When I first went out there I brought in Sherlock and Mitch who come easily. I went back to get Dodger and I couldn't even find him. I searched both buildings, the big dog box, both A-frames, and I could not find that black dog in the dark. I considered the possibility that he had gotten out, but he had been in there earlier and both the other dogs still were. He was just hiding from me. Finally I saw him emerge from behind the big burn barrel. I was relieved but really no closer to getting him inside. We spent the next half hour or so doing the avoidance dance. I finally got him over to the puppy end of Daneland and closed the divider and then I went inside and took my shower. When I came back out, he was vocalizing, not liking being alone out there so I thought my chances were better. I opened the door to the puppy palace and he finally went inside. I followed quickly and closed the door behind me. In the enclosed space I was finally able to slip the leash over his head. Once inside he went directly to his crate next to Sherlock. 

Dodger giving me some side eye. He may be suspicious of me still, but at least he's looking at me.

A week or so back I drove Dodger, Sherlock, and Mitch to meet a photographer who does portraits of rescue animals for an annual calendar. Here's her portrait of Dodger. It is stunning.


Bailey has been getting progressively more difficult on the leash, pulling more, and trying to lead rather than follow. I kept hoping that Della would have a talk with her, but it doesn't bother Della so she's not going to correct it. This girl is young, strong, and smart, and I knew I have to stay on top of any behavior that might become problematic. So I started her on the Gentle Leader on Monday.

Monday evening was chilly and rainy. Della was not interested in going outside so I knew that was my best chance to get Bailey out by herself to introduce the Gentle Leader. I expected the worst, assuming that she would fight it, and do everything in her power to get it off. I was wrong. She didn't mind it all and didn't even try to get it off on the drive from home up to the park. She walked beautifully on it with no pulling. I carried a short leash that I could clip to her collar in case her attitude changed, but I never needed it. We even saw deer and squirrels and I had no trouble controlling her.

I used it again on the Tuesday morning walk with Della with similar positive results.

This was Bailey's final walk on the harness, Monday morning.



It was still raining a bit when we started Monday evening, but the setting sun came out and gave us a fragment of a double rainbow.


There were at least five deer but they disappeared back into the woods as we got closer.


She walks with Della's seriousness and sense of purpose. I like that, particularly as opposed to a puppy bouncing all around trying to make a game out of everything.

Tuesday was a beautiful fall day, bright and sunny. Here are a few pictures of the fosters, plus Bailey, playing out in Daneland.

Mitch with a ball.







We finally got a great sounding application for Sherlock. They had previously had a bloodhound, no cats, kids, or other pets, 6' fenced yard. Sounded like a very good prospect even though they were out of state. They found another rescue bloodhound closer to home, however, and adopted that one. I'm glad they adopted anyway. Sherlock still awaits his home, but it will come.





And here is the photographer's portrait of Sherlock.








 

No comments: