Saturday, October 7, 2023

Fall feelings

It was a beautiful fall day, sunny but cool and rather breezy. I had two working mowers again, including the one best suited for cutting trails through tall grass in the pasture, so that's what I did late this afternoon. I had company of course: Della, Maya, Bailey, Elvis, Paisley, and Sherlock. The dogs did their own thing, but used the trails after I had cut them. They need a little clean up work yet, and I may carve out a few more, but we have a good working trail network out there now.


It was Bailey's first time in the pasture for any extended length of time. She attached herself to Della as she has most of the time around here and I couldn't be happier about that. Whenever I spotted Della, Bailey was nearby. Della ran with her and Bailey kept up surprisingly well considering their relative leg length.









Maya and Elvis went into hunting mode as soon as they hit the tall grass. Neither is tall enough to spot easily, especially with their noses to the ground, but I would occasionally see their tails waving and they were always together. 









I got the feeling that Sherlock was scared of the mower so I didn't see much of him for quite a while. He blends in with the fall colored grass and also had his nose to the ground, so it was another case of tail spotting, usually near the fence line. After I finished mowing he didn't come in with the others so I had to walk back out with some of the other dogs to locate him and bring him in.







I didn't see Paisley for quite a while and would have been worried, but Paisley is pretty capable so I figured she was just hanging out somewhere. That seems to have been the case because she showed up whenever I was back up near the dog yard. She will follow me on the mower when I'm just driving around but not when I'm cutting grass, not sure if that's because of the noise or all the grass being thrown, but it's safer if she's not tailing me then anyway.








It was a good time for everyone. 









1 comment:

Byron's Mom said...

Love seeing all the pups having fun! I hope Paisley's nose is on the mend!