Tuesday, October 3, 2023

Walking into Fall

 I've been walking almost daily for the past week or two. I'm now familiar to the park employees and several of the morning walkers at Pleasant Grove. I'm still just walking the two mile route through the park on the road because of ticks (I'm paranoid for myself, the dogs are protected), but I have made a couple recent forays onto discrete sections of the trail system. Once it freezes we'll be back to trail walking in the woods, but I'm really not minding the easy walk we do now and the dogs haven't raised any objections.

I'm mostly walking with Della and Bailey, but have taken Paisley and Elvis on occasion. Elvis is getting chubby (just like his namesake) so I need to get him out walking more frequently. I'm also cutting back his food, as well as my own. My goal is to drop another 10-15 pounds before our trip to Belgium in December. I've been plateaued for several months but I'm making a more concerted effort now to cut calories and avoid carbs, as well as get more exercise.

Yes, Bailey goes on all the walks, just like Maya used to do, with a "plus 1." She is new and she needs to learn. She is interesting. Some dogs walk with their nose as their primary guide, always sniffing for something interesting to stop and investigate. Bailey is a "looker" instead. Birds in flight get her attention, cars moving along a distant road, bicycles, and squirrels!, OMG they really set her off. She's very visually oriented and very attuned to movement. 

Everyone else is doing fine. The new, very shutdown lab, Dodger, is spending the day outside with Sherlock and Mitch. He seems to be enjoying it and is getting used to the routine of going out there during the day and coming in at night. He crates without any problem. He really needs a lot of socialization still, however. Candace goes outside with the other dogs several times during the day and enjoys running around the yard. Bailey tries to play with her and she tolerates it at least. I'm planning to take Mitch to an adoption event on Saturday. I'm sure he will be a hit.

















Many of the potted plants are past their prime, but this fuscia has never had more blooms.


Caladiums did well this year. I want to save the bulbs.

She's a fairly serious girl, but the water brings out the puppy play in her.






No comments: