Thursday, October 19, 2023

Dodger's first walk

Della was feeling much more like her normal self today, but she still didn't push for an early morning walk. I had to get started with work early anyway. When I did go out later in the day I decided to take Dodger for his first leashed walk. Bailey seems to like him a lot (they play together in Daneland during the day) so I took her along both to make him feel more secure and to model good walking behavior. 

She must have learned a lot from walking with Della because Bailey was all business out on today's walk. She didn't play with him, didn't even interact with him really. She walked nicely by my side. He walked further to my side or behind, requiring me to pull him along to keep him moving. I had a slip leash on him and a longer leash attached to a harness as a backup. I didn't need the backup but I was glad that I had it. Sometimes he would walk along right next to Bailey, but most of the time he was a drag on our forward movement. 

We will do it again, after my left arm recovers.



He's walking along nicely here, pulling us forward even,
but this was a brief moment.



He was usually in this position, at least half a body length behind Bailey,
and usually on the far side of her as far as the slip lead would allow.

Please notice that Bailey's ears are both fully up here.
This happens sometimes, usually when she sees a squirrel. 

The longer blue leash attached to his harness was always slack.
The shorter slip lead around his neck was always tight.

There were several runners at the park this evening, high school kids I would guess.
When he saw them, even from a distance, he wanted to stop or move farther away.

Bailey kept moving forward always. I was wishing she would have a word with him.




No comments: