Wednesday, October 11, 2023

Therapeutic chaos

I've been keeping the foster dogs (Mitch, Sherlock, Dodger) outside in Daneland during the days. It's a nice space and it's a nice time of year to be outdoors, at least during the day. I started bringing them indoors when the temps dropped into the 40s. Dodger has always come indoors at night, although it's difficult to get ahold on him to bring him inside. Last night I tried for nearly an hour, or so it seemed, to get him in. I brought Mitch and Sherlock in first. I know he didn't want to be left behind, but he also didn't want to let me leash him. I fell on my ass while playing keep away with him and decided that tonight was going to be different. 

It was still daylight when we went out to bring them in this evening, and I had Clay with me (that was really the key). After letting Mitch out and getting Sherlock on a leash, we went back for Dodger and quickly got him into the puppy palace where it was easy to corner him and get the leash on. Then we all went inside. 

Now, I know that keeping fosters outside most of the time during the day isn't the best thing for them in terms of improving their adoption prospects, but look at these pictures of all these dogs wanting to occupy the same space and give me a break. Mostly it was all right. Elvis wanted to hump all the other male dogs. Bailey guards me as her most valuable resource. But other than that, everyone got along. And it was good for Dodger, very good in fact. He retreated into his crate at first, but he came out, ran around the house, and I think he even ventured upstairs. I think I'll keep him inside tomorrow, although I know he will want to go out with his friends.

Elvis, the horn dog

Dodger and Sherlock, that's Elvis humping Mitch on the left.

Dodger venturing out of his crate

Sherlock and Paisley

Mitch and Elvis

Dodger sniffing my foot

Sherlock

Elvis, Mitch, and Sherlock with Clay

Elvis and Mitch

Dodger

He actually made contact with me several times this evening.
This does not mean that he would let me reach for him, however.

Paisley. I've been watching her nose closely and even trying to apply stuff to it.
Whenever it is scabbing over, she will rub it all off. 
I don't know how we'll ever get it healed without using a cone.

Elvis and Mitch

Bailey

Della was upstairs mostly, but she came down to express her disapproval.




Dodger out and about with everyone




Meanwhile, Candice was sleeping soundly in the front room,
far from the madding crowd.

Della, Maya, and Bailey (I think), looking down the stairs.

Dodger and Sherlock. I love seeing Dodger's tail up like this.

Mitch

Mitch and Maya

Maya had come downstairs to complain about the noise and my absence.

Paisley and Bailey

Dodger

I had to stop myself from yelling when I realized it was Dodger who had his front feet on the bench trying to get up to the counter.







No comments: