Sunday, June 30, 2024

Day 2

I'm still just trying to get a handle on this new situation, figuring out how to handle, feed, and entertain two new litters of no-so-small puppies, one with a mom who is terrified (the Shar-pei) and one that has gone into heat (the Doberman), while still trying to do right by our own dogs, guests, and pre-existing fosters. I can't say that everything is running smoothly just yet, but we have made some progress today.

I managed to get all of the household dogs outside, fed breakfast, and back inside or otherwise contained before 7:00 a.m. Sunday morning when the woman who was adopting the Saint Bernard arrived. They were on their way to Michigan by 7:15 a.m. I was very happy for the dog that they were headed to a home far north of here, especially with the intense heat and heavy humidity we're experiencing right now.

I got the puppies out and fed them. The Doberman mom has been quite food aggressive with her pups and I also figured out that she's in heat. I moved her indoors to the crate in the kitchen next to Mercy. She has been inside all day and has shared some outdoor time with Mercy and Bailey throughout the day. Her patience with the puppies seemed to be wearing thin as well, so it was time to separate her from them.

While the puppies were outside I cleaned their indoor space and made some changes. I set up the whelping box for the dobie pups, hoping they would see it as their bed space and do their pooping and peeing elsewhere. The Shar-pei pups seemed pretty good about waiting to get outside before they did anything.

Everyone went back inside for nap time and then came out for a second feeding around noon, followed by more outdoor time to pee, poop, and play. 

The afternoon wasn't fit for anything outside so I waited until late afternoon when the temperature finally began to drop before bringing them out for their third meal and evening outdoor time. The dobies particularly need three meals a day I think. They are growing fast now, mostly their legs. It's getting dark now so I'll go out again soon and put them to bed. I will then be going to bed myself. Puppies are exhausting and tomorrow is another day.

What a lucky Saint to escape Oklahoma and Virginia summers by going to live in Michigan.


That's Padme, Doberman mother, in the crate to the left, next to Mercy.
She's been fine in the crate, probably enjoying the a/c, and being away from the pups.

This is the whelping box that I set up as a bedroom for the eight Doberman puppies.




This is a door opening video I made when letting the dobies out for their second feeding today.





After they devoured all the food, I took some more and just scattered it so they could hunt for it.

Another door opening. 

I'm kind of obsessed with these Shar-pei puppy faces.
This one is Maz.


This is the Lux, the mother. I did finally get a collar on her.








No comments: