Monday, July 6, 2015

Former Fosters

 I want to thank everyone who sent me a message on my birthday. A number of those birthday greetings were accompanied by pictures of my former fosters that I thought I'd share here.






This is Jasper, who probably has the biggest bark I've ever heard on a German Shepherd. Trooper's bark is a close second and is very similar. It was impressive enough that I gave him a wide berth for his first few days as a foster, until he came to see me as the source of food and not as a food source. He's a great dog if he likes you and if you aren't intimidated by him. 



















This girl's name is Molly. She's quite a senior girl now and it was quite a few years ago that I had her here as a foster. She illustrates a point that I often make about having no hard and fast rules about adoption. She lives in Louisiana, and I've never even met her owner face-to-face. I don't remember how she happened to find Molly on the Animal Connections Petfinder page, but the woman's brother lived in North Carolina. He was up here for some reason and was going to Louisiana and he transported the dog. The woman filled out the application online, we spoke and emailed extensively, and I liked what I heard. The woman sends me e-cards at every holiday and lets me know how they are doing. I think they had to evacuate during Katrina but escaped most of the damage. I took a chance on this one and it paid off big for Molly; she's had a great life.













Odie also illustrates the same point. He was a super sweet senior boy who went to an out of state (Pennsylvania) adopter who has a track record of taking in seniors from all over. Great home, great dog, great life for a senior dog. Sometimes you have to bend the rules if not break them entirely.





















And then there's this girl. Her name is Sophie, formerly Sunny. She was a pain in the ass foster and she didn't change a bit in her adoptive home. But they love her to death, have worked on some of her issues, and just learned to live with some of the others. Let's just say that she's a very lucky dog.



















There is nothing as comforting as snuggling up to a rottweiler. Especially if that rottie is Radix, a rescue from The Hows Project.


















Below is a collage made by a friend who first encouraged me start posting links to my blog on Facebook.



Starting in the upper left corner, is me holding Felix; then me with Maya and Diesel; Felix, Maya, and Max on a walk; Clay with Trooper; and in the upper right corner is a Christmas photo of Sophie with a tree, which I'm assuming she later pulled down.

Next row across, from the left: Sparky and Max out on the trails; Toquima and Trooper crossing a foot bridge; Barkley in the snow with Max (holding stick), and Ochie, and I believe that's our Cabell in the rear; the last pic on right in this row is Groot.

Bottom row, from the left: Groot with two siblings in his first adoptive home who returned him; two pics of Diesel and one small one of Felix; the little girl sitting on the stump I believe is Fanny. The last pic in the lower right hand corner is me with my arm around one of the hoarder shepherds, I think it's Maggie Mae, and in the far right corner of that picture is dear sweet Jeremy. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing these pics! I really admire what you do and am so thankful that you do it.
There are so many dogs out there who got their second and third chances, because you rescued and re-homed them. Thank you!!