Thursday, December 28, 2023

Bailey

 I submitted the contract to officially adopt Bailey the other day. She's been a done deal ever since she arrived, but we delayed making it official until she was spayed and the spay had been delayed waiting for an open surgical spot. 

Bailey had been sleeping in bed with me while Clay was in Belgium and for a few more days with me in the guest room until I was certain that the Covid was gone. Then she went in to be spayed and needed to be crated and Maze came who needed to be in the bedroom. I've been keeping Bailey crated at night next to Dodger downstairs in the kitchen since her surgery. Maze will be going home soon so we'll have to figure out how to get Bailey back in the bedroom at night, but not in bed sprawled across me.

I've also been limiting Bailey's outdoor activity, for two reason. First, the surgery, although that reason has pretty much disappeared as it's been a week now. I was just letting her out to the a/c yard or into Daneland, both of which have 6' fences, because she has now jumped our property line fence, twice. The second time I saw her running for it and ran after her just in time to see her leap over the 4.5' fence like a young gazelle, and disappear into the woods. She came back within about 15 minutes, but I must have aged at least a year from the worry and stress I experienced during that time. I had flashbacks of Maya's youthful days. One of the things that I love about Bailey is how much she reminds me of Maya, but I don't want to go through that again. 

So, I need to consider the available options. Maya became "leash walk only" for years after we finally got her back from her unauthorized two week sojourn throughout the county. It was only after she was older, heavier, and bonded to me like white on rice that I began to trust her out in the fenced yard and pasture. So far, at least, Bailey hasn't scaled the 6' fence of the a/c yard or Daneland, and so far at least I've felt ok about putting her in one of those places, for short times with other dogs for company. She's pretty bonded to me, but she's also young, inquisitive, and adventurous. I think I will have consider electronic fencing options, either a hot wire on top of the fence, or (and I'm leaning towards this) an underground fence with a collar that will keep her from getting anywhere near the perimeter fence. 

I knew this girl was never going to be easy.

I took Bailey on a two mile walk today wearing some new things we got for Christmas. A new leash, a new Halti, new collar, and some new bling on the collar that Clay brought from Belgium.



"Up" was an easy command to teach her because it comes very naturally to her. Unfortunately, jumping over the fence is very easy for her too. 


Doing her "up" on a small boulder.

That one ear really reaches for the sky.

The golden hour really lights up her fur.





No comments: