Sunday, December 31, 2023

Acts of faith

I know of no greater act of rational faith than putting a bulb in the ground in December, burying it six to eight inches deep, stomping the soil down on top of it, knowing that it will be covered with snow and ice in the months to come, and hoping that something beautiful will grow from it when the days become longer and the earth warms again in the spring. It did that today 100 times. That's a lot of faith for those who think I have none. 

I had planted a bag of daffodil bulbs outside the fence along the road in front of our house the first year we moved in. That was 23 years ago and I've been meaning to plant more ever since. Today I finally did. I put in 100 more daffodils but inside the fence this time, spread across the front yard. There's room for plenty more.


Dog rescue is a similar act of faith. We know enough about the basic nature of dogs to have a rational belief that time, love, and training will usually allow them to overcome whatever horrors they experienced in the past at the hands of humans who let them down. That's not always true and there's some things we can't fix, but it's true often enough that we take that leap of faith with rescued dogs that land at our door. Just as we plant bulbs in the ground expecting them to blossom, we take in sick, neglected, and abused dogs, give them what all dogs need and hope that something beautiful will grow. We are rewarded with something beautiful more often than not.

I took Paige on her first walk today. I just used a slip lead because her inclination seemed to be to stick as close to me as possible. And so she did, often walking with her head pressed against my leg. I don't hate that. 

Maze and her mother

Ever present Paisley

Maze (rolling) and Paige


Della guarding her flock.
She's a Dane, not a shepherd, and they are flamingos, not sheep.
We do things a little different around here.

Oakley and Maze

Della held this position for quite a while.
Apparently she was quite serious about protecting the flock.


Maze will be going home New Years Day.
It's been nice to have her.

Four Danes watching as I plant bulbs.



Here's a quick play scene. 
They did more than this, but I was busy planting and this was the only one I got recorded.



Paige and I on our first walk together.

This girl is very sweet.










No comments: