Friday, December 15, 2023

Burger King and Paisley

I started the day after not sleeping well and feeling like my symptoms were returning, e.g., congestion and fever. So I was tired and a bit pissed off, sick of being sick. I was thinking that I wouldn't walk today so I just took the dogs out to the pasture and did a short walkabout myself. They had a good time and I left Maya and Elvis out there for a few extra hours to pursue their passion for hunting field mice and rats in the tall grass.

Clay's mom stopped by shortly after noon and a dropped off a bag of cheeseburgers from Burger King, mostly for the dogs. I cut them into bite size pieces (quarters) and fed them to Della, Paisley, Dodger, Candace, and Bailey. Dodger had no idea what they were and he ate his slowly with some suspicion. I took some into the front room to feed to Candace and she liked them but I had to pull the gate closed to keep the other dogs out because she ate them slowly. Della swallowed hers in one gulp and nearly took off a few of my fingers. Paisley and Bailey were nearly as fast but they were easier on my fingers. Burger King was a hit. Maya and Elvis missed out because they were hunting in the pasture.

Later in the afternoon, I decided that my mood was worse than my symptoms and I knew that a walk was the only thing likely to help, and it did. I took Paisley today and we had a nice walk, giving me some one-on-one time with her.

Paisley isn't as crazy as Max was, but she has absolutely zero social skills with other dogs. Her idea of "playing" is to run up on another dog and bite them on the butt, and she has very little impulse control when she's excited. She and Maya had a nasty fight shortly after I returned from Thanksgiving. Sometime after that she must have gone after Della because Della has been nursing a rather nasty bite on her left rear side for over a week and trying to avoid Paisley. Just a few days ago another fight broke out in the bedroom resulting in Della and Maya both kicking Paisley's ass. She limped around for about a day but since then I've banished Paisley from the bedroom at night, keeping her downstairs in the kitchen with Dodger, although not crated. She poops on the tile floor down there about every other night, to express her displeasure, but that's better than getting into fights upstairs. She's been so unstable lately that I was rather concerned about how she would do when I went away, although I think a lot of her behavior is mostly an issue when I'm around.

I've taken her off all medications because I didn't think they were helping. Since then one very positive thing has happened with Paisley, although I'm afraid to mention it. Her nose has healed up better than anytime since I've had her. It's scabbed over, but there's some hair growing on it now, and so far at least she hasn't scraped off the scabs back to raw flesh as she had been doing every time it began to heal. She's a weirdo and probably always will be, but I hope we can find a way to manage her issues like we did with Max.





Here is the trio of hunters at work.
Elvis is easy to pick out and Maya too, but Bailey is well hidden.




This is a nice picture of Paisley and Candace.








And here is Paisley on our walk:





2.5 miles


No comments: