Friday, December 22, 2023

First day of winter

Today was the first full day of winter and I had it off from work. I'm fully recovered from the covid bullshit now too, so there was no reason not to get out and enjoy it. 

Bailey is still recovering from her spay surgery yesterday, so she had to stay inside, but everyone else came out with me to enjoy the day. I opened the gates to the pasture but I mostly stayed in the yard because I had some things to do. A changing assortment of dogs were surrounding me at all times. How nice is that?

I put my phone number tags on the three new Danes, including Maze even though she's just visiting. I don't consider any of them to be serious flight risks, however, they all stuck around very closely today, close to me and to each other. 

Dane update: The only one who gave me any trouble last night was Maze. She didn't like being in Della's crate in the office. I woke up about midnight to her barking and took her outside, but that wasn't really what she wanted. I tried leaving her uncrated but closed in the office but she didn't like that either and was soon scratching at the door. I just let her into the bedroom and surprisingly Della didn't seriously object. Eventually Maze found a spot acceptable to Della and settled down and I got back to sleep. Oakley and the new black female Dane pup (now named Paige), seemed fine with being crated although I think I did slip Oakley as trazadone. 

Bailey didn't eat last night or this morning and consequently didn't get the pain meds into her. She finally ate them up with some canned food late this afternoon and she's beginning to look more like her usual self again. She had a late evening meal with more pain meds so tomorrow I'm expecting her to feel good again.

I built a fire in the firepit, a day late for Solstice, and puttered around the yard doing stuff that only I knew needed doing. Then I did something appropriate for the first day of winter, I put together a new raised flower bed that I'll use next spring. It's 42" in diameter and sits over the stump of a tree that I cut down this past summer. Elevated in the center of it will be a really nice planter that I brought back from my sister's place in Kentucky. It was a good way to spend the first day of winter.

Oakley and Paige

Oakley

Candace, Maya, and Paige

Candace

Paige

Oakley

Paige has this very prominent swirl in her fur on the back of her neck.

Elvis

Elvis, with Candace behind

Paisley, Paige, and Oakley

Paige

Paige and Oakley

Candace

Paige

Oakley and Paisley

Dodger and Paige

Paige's swirl again

Della and Maze

Oakley

My new raised bed and container.




No comments: