Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Spring storms

Gigi is very good about coming straight to the house
from the dog yard and vice versa.
A good size comparison picture of Gigi and Cabell.
They are about the same weight.
She is taller and longer.
I'm sitting here in my office with five dogs, three of them as close as possible under my desk and chair.  The occasion isn't an unbridled show of affection for me.  We are having a spring thunderstorm.  Gigi, Cabell, Zachary, Trooper, and Rex.  Of our own dogs, only Bremo is oblivious to storms.  I don't know if Rex is actually scared of if he's just picking up on the other dogs' anxiety.  I crated him and he's settled down.  Gigi is at my feet, Trooper is sitting behind my chair, and Cabell is standing at my side.  Zachary is stretched out on the floor under the desk.  It's not a happy time, but none of these dogs is even in the ballpark of the level of anxiety suffered by our late Emmylou. 

She was returned from one adoption because she broke through a window during a storm.  I just didn't ever leave her home alone during the afternoons in spring and early summer.  She had it bad, the poor girl.  She was generally fearless, but storms were another matter.  Trooper deals with the scary thunder the same way he copes with other things that scare him,  he barks ferociously at it and looks to me for backup. 
This was due to the camera's motion more than the dogs'.
Sort of an interesting result.
All my puppy pics came out blurry because they were in motion,
the light was dimming, and I didn't have the flash on.
They are growing, doing well, better pics tomorrow.
I'm trying to get my act together to get out of town this weekend.  Clay will be here but I'm boarding Dixie, Hank, and maybe Gypsy and Sparky just to lighten the load for him while I'm away.  Daisy will be going to her new home Friday evening.  That will just leave Max, Lana, Radley, Rex, Vince, and the puppies, in addition to our five.  I'm still trying to figure out which four to board to make feeding and cleaning the easiest around here.  And I need to fill pill dispensers for Bremo, Cabell, Rex, and for Gigi's skin supplements.  Rex poses a problem.  He's doing great indoors, surprisingly trustworthy in the house, and our dogs tolerate him.  He had a bad case of diarrhea, maybe from the prozac, and he dropped some weight, but he's back on track digestively.  I hate to board him, the kennel will be over stimulating for him.  Even if he stays in an outdoor kennel here, I think it will be better for him than boarding, especially if some of the other outdoor dogs aren't here, he'll have less reason to get excited and start into that tail chasing behavior.

This is Max, very loyal, devoted.  Nice guy, nothing wrong with him that I have seen.
He needs someone who isn't afraid of large dogs.

The pics are just some that I took yesterday while doing some mowing and playing with the pups.  When I get back from Kansas it will be time to speuter those pups, get them another round of vaccines, and get them adopted.  I obviously haven't been rushing into it. 


Four of our five, after a pasture romp, ready to come back in.
L to R:  Gigi, Bremo, Zachary, and Cabell
Trooper won't come in from the pasture until he's been out for several hours
 or I chase him in on the mower.

No comments: