Friday, August 3, 2012

A different day at the vet
























Yesterday I took Bremo and Cabell to the vet.  They are easy dogs to vet. I can take them both in together at the same time.  They were both good, happy to go, cooperative with all the procedures.  (Their blood work results were back today and everything looked good!, including Cabell's kidneys and Bremo's liver functions.)


Today I took Trooper and Vince and it was a very different story. 

I knew Trooper would be bad.  He's scared of strangers and he barks at them ferociously to make them go away.  It's a strategy he has perfected and it has worked well for him in the past.  He uses the same strategy on everything that scares him, including thunder.  I knew Trooper would be trouble so I muzzled him as I took him out of the van.  But I also knew that he trusted me and would let me hold him.  We got through it.  He doesn't actually object to the procedures, he just doesn't like strangers handling him or looking at him.  I gave him the intranasal bordetella vaccine myself since it involves getting right into the dog's face and squirting a liquid up his nose. 

























I had been told that Vince wasn't great with a vet.  He was fine until we tried to look in his mouth.  Just looking from a distance, however, it was possible to see that he does have some dental problems.  I had thought I'd take him to Helping Hands over in Richmond and give them a try, because they are supposed to be good and less expensive for dental work, but I think I need to have Vince seen and treated locally.  I couldn't very well drop Vince off with a new vet and expect them to do blood work and then a dental procedure on a dog like Vince.  I made an appointment for the week after next.  They will be prepared for him, will sedate him, do the blood screening, and he'll be their first surgery of the day.  They will know what to expect and how to handle him.  It's the great thing about having an established relationship with a vet.  Not all dogs are as cooperative as Cabell and Bremo.


Michelle Bachman, teabagger and Chickfellatio supporter
Later this afternoon, I'm going back to town to pick up Clay, get his car back from the shop, and then we are going out to celebrate our 16th(?!) anniversary.  Suck on that Chick-fil-a. 

No comments: