Monday, August 13, 2012

Highland's first outing

Sunday in Gainesville with Highland (his first outing), Lana, Cooper, and Hank.  I was very happy with Highland's performance.  He wasn't particularly interested in people, but he was good with everyone and with all the other dogs.  I held him myself and mostly let other volunteers meet him, but he was very good and gave me no cause for concern.  I got a few of the predictable "he looks like he's part wolf" comments from the public, and Pam summed it up correctly as "big black dog" syndrome.  He has a look that will be scary and intimidating to some people.  He's meeting other dogs nicely with no real introduction and I'm very happy about that.  He's not that interested in strangers, but he has bonded with me already, he's that kind of dog.  One person, one family, one household is all he's interested in.


Cooper was good and Pam got some great pictures of him.  I've had a couple inquiries about him but no follow up so far.  He was great indoors here for three days after his neuter, both crated and uncrated, but I refuse to guarantee that he's housetrained.


Dixie came by and we completed her adoption.  She looked clean and pretty, and she was glad to see me.  She's as housetrained as any foster I've had, but you change her food, her routine, and put her with someone who doesn't know her signals, and they think they've got a housetraining problem.  That's why I refuse to say that Cooper is housetrained.  If that single issue is what's most important, get a garden statue, they never poop or pee.   



This little pup is Daisy.  She is one of the lab/pry pups that I had several weeks ago.  She was out just for the experience of being out in public, and she's not crazy about it.  She's very much a homebody. 

Lana and Hank had a good time, as always.  The person who was interested in Hank, wasn't.  People who say they want a young, active dog are often clueless about what that really means. 













1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You left out the part where Lana had to put Zim in his place once or twice. Just what the little guy needed. Highland is such a handsome fellow.