Thursday, August 9, 2012

At the dog park

My pretty girl.

Fluvanna County has a pretty nice dog park.  The nicest thing about it is that it's very close to me, but I don't really need it or use it.  Our pasture is an even bigger and better dog park, and it's here at home, but the county dog park does offer the opportunity to meet and socialize with other dogs, and people too, I suppose.  I took Emmylou up there fairly often during her last days because she didn't have the strength to go out for long walks anymore, but she still liked to get out and go somewhere, and she loved meeting the people up there.  I'm not sure I've been back there since Emmylou died, but I went today, with Gigi, to meet up with Cooper and Teddy and their adopter.


 
Gigi stuck close to me most of the time we were there.




They are regulars at the dog park at this particular day and time, and there were several other dogs there as well.  Cooper of course was happy and full of kisses.  The amazing thing has been the transformation of Teddy.  "Transformation" may overstate it a bit, he's still extremely shy and reserved, but he loves going to the dog park and they have worked out a routine by which the adopter is able to get Teddy leashed.  He is even now taking treats from the other people at the dog park.  He mostly kept his distance from me, but he approached a couple times to check me out.  He's the same way with other people, but he has learned that people are a source of treats.


Teddy came up to meet Gigi
He's never going to be a "normal" dog, but he's healthy and happy and well adjusted in his new home. 


Teddy
Gigi was happy to go along, but she was rather shy and reserved once we got there.  She stuck very close to me, but she did venture off a bit on her own toward the end of our time there.  She was fine with the other dogs but didn't engage in play with them as I had hoped.  She was a bit timid with the other people there, but she would come up behind them or at their side to check them out when they weren't looking.  She would let people pet her but she didn't seek it out.


She was polite, and she was curious, but she wasn't sure.  We will need to go back and I need to take her to other places as well. 

Yeah, I know, I take a lot of pictures of her.  I can't help it.

Cooper in the middle of a three way tug

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gigi is so photogenic!!

Anonymous said...

I love seeing all these guys together!! Gigi is so photogenic!