Saturday, August 4, 2012

Into the lion's den



Today I loaded up Hank, Lana, and Cooper and drove over west of Richmond to a Dog Days event held by and at a rural baptist church in Goochland County.  That's the last place I'd be apt to look for an adopter for one of my fosters, but I like the woman who was attending the event on behalf of VGSR, she needed some foster dogs in attendance, and besides, I'm an open minded kind of guy.
 

I was expecting a bunch of inbred, slack-jawed, mouth-breathing, knuckle-dragging, Limbaugh-loving troglodytes, and I have no doubt that that would pretty well describe the average congregant there on Sunday mornings, but in fact it was pretty much like any other adoption event.  There were people there I would adopt to and plenty that I wouldn't.  The crowd was pretty light, and I think that the people there with dogs for adoption may have outnumbered those looking for dogs.




Still, the dogs had a good time and we all survived.  Hank may have gotten prayed at, but he shook it off and was no worse for the experience.  Actually Hank quite enjoyed it.  Hank loves everything and everyone and he just loves a crowd of people and dogs.  Hank is just happy and enthusiastic about life in general.
 

Lana attached herself to another volunteer and would have been happy to go home with him forever.  She was very friendly with everyone she met.  She has two very different greeting styles.  She will sit prettily and smile with a "please pet me now" expression, or if you look sufficiently sturdy, she throws herself at you with a full body hug.  She's just a great dog.

 

It was Cooper's first public outing.  He has no manners and is terrible on a leash, but he is sweet and friendly.  A lab rescue group was there and I walked him over to their tent for a meet and greet with their volunteers and fosters.  He was good with everyone there, both human and canine.  They agreed to do a courtesy posting for him on their website, which I think should be very helpful in getting him adopted.  I haven't posted him on the web yet at all, but I will this next week after getting him neutered.  A lab rescue website will attract people looking for labs, and anyone interested in a lab should be attracted to Cooper.

No comments: