Thursday, November 1, 2012

Bastian

Bastian's owner first called the VGSR hotline several weeks ago.  By the time I called her back the immediate crisis (whatever it was) had subsided and she was going to keep the dog.  I left her my phone number.  She called again a couple weeks ago.  I finally connected with her and met the dog.  He was a shy but nice boy, about a year old, obviously a HAM (hot allergic mess) - again, my term, not a medical term. 





I told her I'd be in touch with her this week, but the Frankenstorm put things on hold and I had other vet needs early in the week.  Today I made an afternoon vet appointment but was unable to reach the owner.  When she finally returned my call I was still in town so I met up with her and took the dog directly to the vet.  She was keeping him wrapped up as shown here and with a cone on his head to keep him from chewing himself. 


He has an all-over skin infection, but no sign of demodex or fleas.  It's likely due to an allergy, but whether it's food or environmental in nature we can't tell.  So, it's antibiotics for the skin infection, benedryl and prednisone to calm the allergic reaction, and a hypoallergenic food.  In spite of being told that he was up to date on everything, the records revealed only a rabies shot that was soon to expire.  And in spite of being told that she had "tried everything" the vet receipts she had showed nothing but some steroid injections and tranquilizers.  We updated all the vaccines and did the basic blood and fecal tests, all of which were negative.


Bastian is wary of strangers but there's no fear aggression. He was scared of me at first but kept coming up to check me out and by the time we got to the vet he had decided that I was his best friend, or at least the closest thing he had to a friend.  He's a young boy, hasn't been getting any exercise, and I think the household situation he came from left a lot to be desired. 


Tonight he's laying calmly in a crate, the shirt and socks covering his body are gone, and although he's done a little licking and chewing on his feet, he doesn't sound like the self-mutiliating dog that had been described to me.  His coat is thin and his skin is red and inflamed; he will be a bit of a project to put back together, but he's young, gentle, goofy, and will be a good looking dog when he matures.  He met our household pack without any problems; I am so grateful to all of them for accepting a new dog in need of help. 

Trooper and Gigi checking out Bastian in the kitchen.



Meeting our pack can be a little intimidating.
Cabell and Bastian (left to right in rear); Zachary and Trooper (front)


No comments: