Saturday, November 17, 2012

My two tails


Vince claimed me as his own long ago.  He's a bit picky about people he likes and I'm not sure why I made the cut except that Jennifer and Heather introduced him to me so he must have figured that I was ok.  I make him stay in a crate in the office at night because there's already four dogs in the bedroom and I think he'd want to assume a place in the bed.  But when he's not crated, Vince is rarely out of my sight, or rather, I'm rarely out of his sight. 

I don't kennel him with the fosters or even put him in the dog yard with our guys because he just jumps at the gate constantly wanting out and he will find a way.  Besides, he sticks around really well, and comes when I call him.  The only thing he does that I wish he wouldn't is run across the road to pee and poop in the neighbor dogs' territory.  They do the same thing here, and I wouldn't mind so much except for the crossing the road part.  One of these days I'll get the front fence replaced with dog-proof fencing and we'll go back to closing the gate at the end of the driveway.

So Vince is pretty much my shadow.  Someone has to love him and that someone seems to be me.  Vince probably thinks the same about me.  He knows he's not allowed to mess with the household dogs, and he doesn't, but he does always want to make it clear to any indoor fosters that he has a prior claim to my attention and personal space. 





Enter Daphne.  She's a former foster who comes to stay here occasionally when her mom goes out of town, which she had to do this weekend.  Daphne gets along with everyone here, including Vince, but she's a girl and she's a rottie, so she has no respect for Vince's prior claim.  If Vince is sitting at my feet for petting she pushes her way inbetween us, usurping his spot and my attention.  Vince is being pretty cool about it, so far, and he knows I won't allow him to get mad at her, but he will be happy when she goes back home tomorrow. 

No comments: