Saturday, November 10, 2012

Doggie tourism


This afternoon I drove out to Staunton, Virginia, where I-64 meets I-81.  I was meeting Carbon's new foster home.  It's the perfect foster home for him, exactly what he needs to make him adoptable.  It's good for me too, because I really need to get some dogs out of here before Thanksgiving. 



I arrived early, so I drove around looking to kill some time.  I hit a Southern States style farm store and then drove past the Staunton National Cemetery.  I had seen it before but had never stopped.  It's an interesting place.  Generally when you think of a national cemetery you think of Arlington, which is huge.  This little place is barely over an acre, completely surrounded by a stone wall.  It looks a lot like Arlington, however, rows and rows of white marble markers in perfectly aligned rows.  When I got home I looked it up on the internet and found out a bit about its history




It was established in 1867 (per the plaque, the website says 1866) as a burial place for civil war soldiers, most of whom are unknown.  Most of those with names on the stones were from northern states, which makes sense because the southerners were probably carried back home.  I also saw burials from both world wars, however, and Vietnam.  When it was initially established it was probably in a beautiful spot out in the country.  Now it's on a busy road that is very commercial.  There is no parking lot and only one entrance, a driveway right in the center that goes just to the middle of the plot where there is a flagpole and an upright cannon with a brass plaque. 

It was an interesting place and a great way to spend a little time until I met up with the new foster home.  Sunday is an adoption event in Gainesville.  I'm taking Rocky and Odie to new foster homes.   Rocky's new foster home may turn into his new permanent home.  Hank and Lana will be going along too. 

The view from the overlook at the top of Afton.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Go bike Gettysburg, for some prospective!