Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Quick vet run with Carbon

The woman who is going to foster the black male 9 month old pup wanted to call him Carbon.  That's fine by me, I just want to call him gone.  He's friendly and sweet, and he does listen if you have a treat in hand, but he is also wild, energetic, and really untrained.  He is living proof that you shouldn't get a puppy if you don't plan to work with him and train him to live around people. 

I shouldn't say too much of this or the woman may want to back out of fostering him.  Actually I think she will be fine with him and he will definitely benefit from living with her, but he makes me realize that I'm already too old for a puppy of his size and energy level. 

I ran him into Charlottesville to the vet today.  Tests were negative and his got vaccines that he needed so he is ready to go on Sunday.  He weighed in at about 52 pounds, although he never did really sit or stand still on the scale.  He jumped a bit when they restrained him for the blood draw, but then just accepted it.  He had no fear of the vet's office, I don't think he had ever been to one before. 

He will make a great dog for someone willing to work on him and he's at the perfect age for it really, but I'm not the person he needs. 

I have put him together with Hank, Lana, and Riley and he's fine with them.  He's fine with everything.  He's got a good temperament but he knows nothing. 



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Who has been there for him? Tuff to learn when no one shows you. Its sad but he may have a chance now.

Anonymous said...

Hi Brent! Speaking of Lana and Hank- do you need any sweaters/fleeces for them? I know Lana has such short fur, I thought maybe should could benefit from something! Just let me know!

Unknown said...

I look into those eyes and I see a dog that deserves more than what he's had. I just want to take his head in my hands and promise him a better tomorrow! "I will teach you grasshopper" :)

Unknown said...

I look at his eyes in these pictures and I see a dog that deserves more than has been handed. I just want to take his head in my hands and promise him a better tomorrow. "I will teach you young grasshopper" ;)