Thursday, November 29, 2012

No easy answers

I had the new rottie, Riley, boarded along with three other dogs when we were gone for Thanksgiving.  When we returned it was obvious that she had lost weight, and she really didn't have any to spare.  Plus, I've seen evidence of soft stools and even vomiting.  I isolated her at the beginning of the week so I could get a handle on what was coming out of her.  This morning I gathered up a fresh stool sample containing undigested food and we went to the vet. 

I was hoping for an easy answer and suspected tapeworms because I also found a stool sample from one of our dogs that obviously contained them.  (Trooper has been after a batch of field rats that moved in under the shed when the weather got cold.  The dogs have killed at least four of them so far so I wasn't too surprised to see the tapeworms and I'm presuming it was from Trooper's poop.)

Riley's stool sample, however, was negative, for everything.  She tested positive for Lyme disease so I'll need to treat her for that, but I'm not even going to start that until we get the vomiting and weight loss under control.  She got a dose of droncit even though they didn't find tapes (and so did Trooper).  She and Lana (who also came back from the kennel with diarrhea) will be getting five days of metronidazole.  Riley and Lana and Augie (boxer who was returned just before Thanksgiving) are all getting a week of Panacure.  They are doing some more tests on Riley's sample, but it seems likely that there will not be an easy answer.  Maybe I just didn't reworm her when I should have before, I'm not sure but I think I did, and again, the stool sample showed nothing. 

We will see.  The good news is that she was great at the vet, friendly to everyone.  She squirmed when being restrained for blood draw and exam, but made no signs of aggression.  She smiles and seems very happy.  Her appetite is good, but she's not keeping it down or processing the food. 

2 comments:

Budsbuddy said...

Sorry to hear this, an underweight rottie is a sad sight indeed. I'm sure you'll try grain-free food, probiotics, etc. Since rotts are prone to eating anything smaller than their head, maybe a stomach xray would be in order. Also it looks like Riley's tail is docked very short, I've heard this can interfere with normal bowel function. Hoping for a good outcome for Riley, she is a beauty.

Unknown said...

Hi my name is Jackson saxon...someone gave me your info as my wife and i lost our 120 rottie Jaeger in august after him being apart of our lives for 10 yrs. Not a day goes by that we do not speak of him. His sis Nala...a bullmastiff is also very sad and still is not eating well. We love huge dogs and have space in our bed for another rottie. We have been thinking about rescuing a young adult,teen dog or even a pup but are looking for an older dog. We never rescued before but it would make us feel goodto do so. We love animals so.much and ive become members of local shelters. I stop by the Winchester va spca yesterday but it mad me so sad that i wanted to adopt and help them all. Please keep us in mind or help us adopt a rottie. We were thinking male but arent opposed to other ideas...the bigger the better. Riley looks like a nice dog...she needs ti gain some weight ..poor girl. Hope all gies well and thx what u do for animals.