Monday, November 5, 2012

The first of a shitload of shepherds

This guy's name is Rocky.  His owner had called the VGSR hotline a couple weeks ago wanting to dump his dog because of an insurance problem.  Apparently the insurance agent came to the house, was scared by the dog, and was going to charge him extra.  I didn't call him back because he was an idiot.  Instead of getting a different homeowners insurance policy, he dumped his dog in my local shelter, which is what I thought he'd do and I knew it would come to me anyway.  This way the dog got seen and evaluated by others, and got some vet care.

I've got an appointment to get the rest of the vetting done, including the neuter surgery, on Friday. 

He's a beauty, black and red, my favorite, and he's a big boy, with a nice big head on him. 

Both of his ears are torn at the tips so they have a little flap.  The story he told the shelter is that it happened as a puppy, apparently this guy had two at one time.  Dog only knows what happened to the other dog.  He didn't want to neuter the dog.  Stupid fucking redneck, out on the loose in Fluvanna County, breeding and voting.  He's the one who really should be neutered. 

The dog seems very sweet, has been with other dogs, although I'll get a better read on all of that in the next few days.  There's also a dog in Nelson County that the shelter called me about, and four, yes four, at the Lyndhurst shelter.  I think I'll just get them and board them for now, deal with them one at a time.






5 comments:

Julie Garrou said...

"Stupid fucking redneck, out on the loose in Fluvanna County, breeding and voting. He's the one who really should be neutered." LOL. Except it's so true it's sad. :-( At least the dog is beautiful and will probably find a better home quickly.

Unknown said...

So beautiful.

Unknown said...

So very beautiful. If I could send love via the Internet.

Anonymous said...

God Bless people like you who give these fur babies another chance at life. Rocky is beautiful and if I could I'd take him but we have two GSD's already and if I take him home I will need to find a home for all of us! I will share your post and hope someone see's Rocky..

Anonymous said...

Do you do temperament testing? We very much want a dog again, & of course only rescuing will do. However, I'm the one who will be home most if the time & while I can lead and train, I have a tender heart & love friendship with my dogs. I do make tires & bake them keep them, but am not an alpha-type if challenged. So we need one that doesn't tend to try to get the lead from humans...and wants to please. We esp'ly want a gsd! Any input for us?