Monday, November 19, 2012

Heading out

Vince was happy to go.
Getting ready for a trip is stressful and hectic, regardless of the length of the trip.  But it always comes together in the end.  On Saturday I took four dogs to a boarding kennel and moved Hank and Aja to an adopter and new foster, respectively.  Last night we had no outdoor dogs and it was strangely quiet around here.  On Sunday morning the feeding routine was so abbreviated that I was really wondering what people without 15 dogs do with all their free time.  We still had eight dogs in the house last night, but that was down by one with Aja moving to her new foster home.



Vince will have a private office
for the next few days.
On Sunday I took Vince and Trooper to their vacation spots.  Daphne's mom came back home and reclaimed her as well.  I picked one up today, however.  Augie was returned from an irresponsible owner, another mistake of mine.  He is being boarded with Trooper and I'll figure out what to do with him when we return.  We still have a few dogs at home, a reasonable number for the house/dog sitter to handle. 


Augie
Augie is spending Thanksgiving with Trooper.

On the good news front, Bastian has been adopted to a wonderful home that is equipped to deal with his skin and allergy issues, whatever they may be.  Another foster I had passed off to another foster home was the young black shepherd, Carbon.  He has also just been adopted or is about to be.  Former foster Odie has a very interested applicant and I expect that to happen. 


The obvious message here is that I do better bringing dogs into the rescue and turning them over to other foster homes, than keeping them and trying to get them adopted myself.  There's a number of reasons for that, most of them pertaining to my own personal shortcomings, which I freely and readily acknowledge.  I really would like to transition to being more of an intake and halfway house, bringing them in and moving them on to other foster homes.  I can get them vetted and find out enough about them to place them in a suitable foster home.  A few folks in the rescue trust my judgment, and I trust theirs in finding adopters more than I do my own. 


Perhaps the best news is this picture of Hank in his new home.  That was from Saturday night when he was tired after checking out every inch of his new home, let's hope he's still so calm and peaceful.





Happy Hank, after a busy day in his new home.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Seeing that picture of Hank made me teary. I am so happy he's in a good home!

BudsBuddy said...

Regardless of what you may perceive as your personal shortcomings, hundreds of dogs and their companions will be giving thanks this week for the hard work and kindness that you and Clay put forth throughout each year. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.

Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you and Clay!
There are about a million dogs giving thanks that they passed though your hands on the way to happy new lives.