Sunday, December 9, 2012

If you fill it, they will come

Bluejays love whole peanuts.
I had a pair of them instantly and
may have a dozen by tomorrow.
My feeders offer black oil and grey
striped sunflower seed, safflower, whole
and shelled peanuts, thistle seed, millet,
cracked corn, milo, suet, and a couple
of specialty mixes. 
Something for everyone.
I guess I've skipped a day or two of posting because I figured everyone had heard enough about dog poop, worms, and such.  I haven't had much else going on, and if you are tired of hearing about it just imagine how tired I am of dealing with it.  That saga continues but I think, I hope, we are making progress.
 
Sunday was a wet and dreary day, the kind of day that you don't even want to leave the house, and I didn't for most of the day.  Early afternoon I went out to fill bird feeders.  I have two feeding stations that each hold six feeders and I offer a wide variety of bird seed in the various feeders.  I used to feed year round, but fell out of the habit and last winter didn't feed at all.  Today I decided to start again. 

What amazed me was how quickly the birds came back.  While I was still cleaning and refilling feeders they started to come.  I expect that within a day or two they will be hitting the feeders hard and draining them.  I need to get the pond running again too so there will be water for them as well. 




Lana and Polly
The good news about the dogs is that although I haven't been to any adoption events, I have placed two of them.  The no-name lab girl has a home and will be moving as soon as I can get her spayed.  She will move to a temporary foster home in northern Virginia with a shepherd friend and then will be moving to Florida after Christmas. 

Her playmate, Polly the Pyr pup, is going to be adopted by the folks who met her last week when we were at the vet.  They are out of town and I need to get her fully back on track digestively, but I expect that will happen sometime this week or the next.  They use the same vet that I do, so getting her spayed will be easy.  The vet thought that Polly was older, perhaps as much as 10 months, which, given her small size, casts doubt on her being a purebred Great Pyrenees.  Still, she doesn't look like anything other than a Pyr, and more importantly, the adopters don't care (I love people like that). 

No-name Lab, Augie the boxer, and Polly the Pyr. 


1 comment:

BudsBuddy said...

You are as generous and caring to the birds as you are to the dogs! I'm so happy for the lab and pyr. I remember the photos of that couple's pyr and newfie, they were a perfect salt-and-pepper pair. Sometimes the stars just line up right for a dog.