Thursday, December 6, 2012

Best vet visit ever

As thin as she still is, she has actually gained 5 pounds
from where she was a week ago.
Today's vet visit was good news for three dogs.  Riley is on a reverse Weight Watchers program, trying to gain weight.  She came along just for the weigh in, and she has gained five pounds in just a week.  That's very good news.  She's eating three times a day now and seems to be processing the food normally.

Cabell always hides when I pull out a
camera, but the vet gave him a bandana
and held his attention with a treat while
I managed to get a couple of pictures.
The dog who actually had a scheduled vet visit was our Cabell.  It was just an old dog check up exam.  He has lost some weight, which is concerning, but it just means that we'll go back to twice daily feeding.  No one will object to that.  We did blood work and everything looked good with his liver and kidneys.  He's stiff in the rear end and I had to help him jump into the back of the van.  After the last stop today I had to just pick him up and put him in.  But with the good report on the bloodwork I can give him Rimadyl to help his mobility.  We think his hearing is gone, but he knows the routine around here well enough without listening to me.






























 









































My big concern today was the Pyrenees pup, now being called Polly.  She was never exactly a voracious eater, but on Wednesday she didn't eat at all.  She still looked and acted fine, but what was coming out of her didn't look or smell good.  She's young, has no vaccination history, and came from a shelter that has been known to have parvo.  She's big enough and old enough that I think we could have pulled her through it, but she was due to go to a Pyr rescue group on Friday and I obviously couldn't send a sick dog.  Thursday morning she ate all her food and still looked and acted normal so my fears were allayed, but I needed to get her looked at by a vet so she came along with Cabell and Riley. 

I left her in the van and just brought in the stool sample I had collected from her kennel in the morning.  It was full of coccidia and roundworms, which was a huge relief.  When I brought her into the office to get her weight so they could calculate a dose of medication, we encountered a woman who had adopted a Pyr named Bolt from me a couple years ago.  In addition to the Pyr, now named Pike, she had had a Newfoundland who had died a while back.  They had been thinking about and looking for another dog, and wanted a girl this time, and there I was with Polly. 

We talked and then she waited while Polly got her vaccines and heartworm test (negative).  Then I followed the woman home and introduced Polly to Pike and the rest of the household.  They are thinking things over, but whether or not they decide to adopt her, it was a very good day at the vet. 
For size comparison, this is Pike on the left and Polly on the right.
He's about 120 pounds, she weighed in at 48 pounds today.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

A good day indeed! Paws crossed that Polly found a new home!

Anonymous said...

Love those pyrs!

unXpected said...

I'm the woman's German daughter and my fingers are crossed, because I couldn't think of a better home for Polly than theirs! I know Pike would love to share his space with Polly :)