Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Late night vet visit, but all is well

Gigi climbing over the crates from the
back of the van on the drive home.
Gigi got into a plastic storage bin in the dog shed on Sunday.  I had forgotten that it was full of dog treats that had been donated to me.  They were good quality treats, but they may have gone bad or maybe they just ate too much.  Gigi wasn't acting right today.  She was still eating, but she was more relunctant than usual to get up off her bed.  She seemed to have some discomfort coming down the stairs.  This evening I got her up, took her out, and then felt her belly to see if I could elicit a pain reaction.  She ate normally, but obviously wasn't feeling quite right.  I had decided to just wait until morning until we were about to go to bed.  When I asked her to get down off the bed, she started to get up and then yelped in pain.  I made a call and loaded her into the van and we were off to VRCC over on the west end of Richmond.

 
A print of four Danes on the wall in one
of the VRCC exam rooms.
The rocks from Gigi's stomach.
They are pretty but I don't think they
look particularly tasty.
They did an initial exam and said her vitals were normal and it didn't appear to be bloat.  An x-ray revealed three objects in her stomach.  They might have gone through on their own, but they were sufficient to be causing discomfort so I had them induce vomiting.  They came up and sure enough, they were rocks. 

We were back home by about 1:00 a.m. and she's resting comfortably. 



2 comments:

BudsBuddy said...

I hate those late night visits to the emergency vet, they are expensive and nerve-wracking! So glad your darling Gigi is none the worse for the wear.

jennifer said...

It's great that you're so in tune with your dogs and take action. they may have passed, but the chance that they didn't was there. Glad she is okay!