Tuesday, December 15, 2015

The sweetest sight

This is a holiday portrait taken last week when Jasso
went in for treatment. He's not a smiley dog under the best
of circumstances and certainly not that day.
When you've got a sick dog who hasn't been eating, the sweetest sight is an empty food bowl. Jasso had heart worm treatment last Thursday and Friday and he hasn't eaten much since then. I don't know if it's due to pain, nausea, or both. I've got pills for both but getting him to take them is tough when he's not eating. He clamps his mouth shut tight and it takes two of us to get pills in him.

After today's force fed medication, which included prednisone, he ate his dry food soaked in warm beef broth. He can afford to go a few days without eating but the fact that he's eating means he's feeling better and that's what I'm glad to see. I'm afraid this is mostly due to the pred, however, and I'm not sure if it is yet a trend. He's used to be a hearty eater two or three times a day. Right now I'm lucky to get one meal into him.




This is Jasso's smile.




This is the goal, but right now it's not happening regularly.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

He's such a cute boy! I'm so glad he has you! Loved the "sleeping in" pics from the other day too!