Wednesday, December 25, 2019

Merry Christmas, It's a Dane!

Admittedly, I may be more inclined than many folks to rearrange my holiday plans around a dog's needs, but when you're responsible for something, you have to be responsible, end of story. We made some relatively minor adjustments to Christmas Eve plans to pick up a new foster dog that evening. We brought him along on Christmas day in a large crate in the back of van. He was cool. We took him out occasionally, and took him for walks. We went back home mid-day to give the other household dogs a break and took the opportunity to introduce the new guy, Tank, to the other Danes in our pack, Serena and Della.

Maybe we're just in a honeymoon phase, but I haven't seen anything so terrible about this dog. He's horny and needs to be neutered (see "responsibility" above), but that's the worst thing I can say about him and that's not his fault in any way. He has now met Della, Serena, Maya, and Trooper with no problems. A small dog approached him when I had him out for a walk today. I didn't let them meet, but he had no interest in and certainly no aggression towards the small dog. He marks a lot of stuff outdoors but he hasn't lifted a leg indoors. He's in a crate in my office as I write this and seems quite content. He wasn't so happy last night, but we basically had to just bring him home, crate him, and go straight to bed. He was lost and alone, torn from the only family he knew, so I'm not surprised he was unhappy. He seems more at ease tonight so I'm hoping that we will all get more sleep.













Meeting Della through the crate.




We had a couple extra Danes at our house
today too. Rorschach (formerly Galaxy)
and Mo-Dean (formerly Allagash)

Sweet Serena



If there was going to be any problem with the new guy, I expected it from Della, but
she was good with him and he was fine with her. She will eventually figure out this
fostering business like Maya has, and like Maya, I think she will feel sufficiently confident
in her own position that she won't feel threatened by it.

No comments: