Wednesday, December 4, 2019

There's a new girl in town

Her name is Chloe. She's a three year old female German Shepherd Dog. She's spayed and up to date on everything. I just picked her up today from a nice young woman in a bad situation who couldn't give the dog what she needed right now. I felt bad for her but appreciated the fact that she was putting the dog's best interests in front of everything else.

Chloe is a nice girl. She's young and energetic. She loves to play ball. She's house-trained and crate-trained. She's good with other dogs off leash but is reportedly reactive and protective vis-a-vis other dogs when leashed. Everything I heard about her sounds like a typical German Shepherd.

She had a crash course in meeting other dogs around here this afternoon. She was naturally rather overwhelmed by it all, but everything was fine. The one I was most concerned about was Della, who acts like she owns the place these days.

I put the two Danes out in the pasture with Theo and Kaiser before even getting Chloe out of the van. My plan was to take Chloe into the house and introduce her first to Maya and Trooper. I did so and that went fine. Maya did her standing fur and tall tail thing, but Maya knows the deal with foster dogs and she's fine with them once she lays down a few rules. Trooper is always good with newcomers.

I didn't really have a plan for the next step but Della supplied it. Della had seen me take Chloe from the van. She waited a bit but then she jumped the pasture fence and showed up at the back door wanting in to meet the new dog. Della is a pretty imposing dog and she's easily twice Chloe's size and weight. Della was assertive but not aggressive. Chloe was scared and reacted but Della was cool about it and didn't escalate the tension. I was actually rather proud of how she handled it as she hasn't had a lot of experience with new foster dogs in her time around here.

Chloe was great and she is slowly settling in around here. She met Theo and Kaiser for a bit in the dog yard. We'll save meeting Max for another day.

My pictures are mostly blurred and certainly don't do her justice. She's a very pretty girl. I've used the pictures that the former owner sent to me yesterday to show what she really looks like. I'll be getting some new ones in the coming days.





Meeting Maya
Della




 
Trooper is always a calming influence.



Chloe in the left, Theo in the center, and
that's Kaiser on the right.

2 comments:

Byron's Mom said...

The new girl is adorable!

Risa said...

Oh, if only Siegfried would accept a sister. Chloe is a beauty.