Tuesday, January 21, 2020

Weekend Walks

I hiked six miles on Sunday and another three on Monday. I'm sore today and I made me realize that I really need to start hiking again more seriously. Clay and I both came down with the flu on New Years Eve and that knocked me down for the better part of two weeks. I've done a few walks since then, but mostly short ones and this was the first time I had put together nine miles in two days in a long time.

I started off on Sunday by doing three miles with Maya and Serena. I hadn't hiked with Serena in a while. She's not demanding about it, but she does like to go. While Della will let Maya lead, Serena is less aware of what she doesn't know, or at least less concerned about it. She and Maya were both out front the entire way. The other thing about Serena that I'm going to need to watch is that she will stick her nose and her entire head into anything to investigate it. A couple times I saw her muzzle go into a hole in the ground or into a tree trunk and I thought to myself, "I sure hope there's nothing in there that bites."

After the tawny girls' walk, I took Theo out alone for another three miles. Theo is another one that I don't hike with often, mostly because it's easy to exercise Theo in the pasture by playing ball. But he enjoyed the walk and he was a joy to walk. He doesn't pull, but he does try to set a faster pace than I would by myself. He's better behaved than any dog we are likely to encounter on the trail and he's also just so damn good looking that it's a pleasure to be seen with him.






















No comments: