Friday, April 17, 2020

Arby, Sadie, and Trooper walk with Maya

I took Arby, Sadie, and Maya out this afternoon for a two miler. My three dog leash handling skills left something to be desired but we got along all right and the dogs enjoyed it.

Maya and Arby
I need to get or find a harness for Arby. Attaching the leash to his collar means it hangs down in front of him and he's forever stepping over the leash with his short legs and then has it under his body. Sadie is easy really, I should just attach a three for four foot leash on a clip attached to a belt loop on my right side. That's where she stays for the most part and if I give her any more leash than that she walks behind me and ends up wrapping me up in the leash. Maya understood my problem and did her best to help by staying out front herself to lead the way, which kept Arby next to her most of the time, minimizing his leash entanglement issues.

We did have a good time. Arby and Sadie were quite excited and really loved it. Sadie huffs and puffs quite a bit, she's a senior girl and not in the best of shape, but we will work on that. Arby surprises me with how much energy he has at 12 years of age.

Maya will walk with anyone. She was walked with every dog we have had since she came here seven years ago. She's the dog I can take out anywhere with other dogs, people, cats, or anything. She minds her business and mine, nothing else really matters to her.


Sadie









































































After our two miles I came home, left off the two fosters and picked up Trooper to go on another walk with Maya.  I had to pick him up to get him in the van but he wanted to go. He started off pretty strong as he always does but it wasn't long before he was walking behind me, even at a pretty slow pace. Whereas Maya had walked out front to keep Arby in line on the first hike, she fell back behind me with Trooper on the second walk. When he moved in front, she did too. We went just under a mile but it was a nice walk on a beautiful afternoon. That will probably hold him for a few days.



Trooper and Maya with dogwoods blooming in the background








The dogwoods are so pretty in the forest now.



I was going to go out again, but decided to do some mowing instead. I took Max, Theo, Leo, Della, and Serena out with me.

Della and Theo
Theo (in back) and Max (front)


Theo and Max stayed with me the most. I was cutting grass and they aren't scared of the mower.

Max
Della, Serena, Theo, and Leo

Leo

Leo and Della


Della and Serena







1 comment:

Rachel said...

There's something about Sadie. I hope she finds her forever home soon.