Thursday, April 30, 2020

Celebrating Seniors

We are once again in the position of having multiple senior dogs. That's ok with me, seniors are easier in most every way. Our two Danes, Serena and Della, are the youngsters in our home, everyone else has achieved senior status. Here's our lineup of seniors. I've used pictures from the first blog posts I wrote about each dog.
Trooper is our oldest now. We got him in April, 2010 and guessed him to be about 18 months then. That makes him about 11.5 years old now. That's a pretty good age for a shepherd. He's hanging in there pretty well but stays downstairs most of the time because the stairs are hard for him. Some days he must feel pretty spry though because he'll come upstairs during the day and even again at night, but mostly he's a downstairs dog now. 


















My little girl Maya is eight years old now, which is just hard for me to believe, but it was seven years ago in February, 2013, that we got her and assumed she was about a year old then. Her signs of aging are mostly improvements in her behavior, although she did pull something off the counter and chew it up when we went to town yesterday evening. She still likes to go on walks with me, but she doesn't insist on going on every walk, every day, like she did. That's good because I've got plenty of other dogs who need to walk as well.



























We have a date of birth of April 5, 2012 for Theo, which means he recently celebrated his eighth birthday, making him about the same age as Maya. Theo is still ball crazy and we played fetch for a while late this afternoon. He's blowing his coat right now and I made him stand while I brushed him a bit in between throws. Theo's a great dog, everything you could ask for in a shepherd. He looks far more intimidating to strangers than he actually is. 





















We brought Max home from the Fluvanna SPCA on August 31, 2013. He was at least a year old then, which means he'll be at least eight years old this August. I can't remember dates or ages on any of these dogs, but I've been writing this blog longer than we've had any of these dogs, so I can go back and refresh my memory with the help of the Google search.
































And then there's Arby, who was said to be 11 years old. He's still technically a foster, but if Arby stays that's all right. He's fit in around here, his barking at every sound he hears has lessened, and he gets along with every one. It's sort of like having Vince back again and that's kind of nice.



1 comment:

Byron's Mom said...

Love this post:-) Seeing all these pups just makes me smile.