Sunday, April 12, 2020

Before the deluge

We are due for some heavy rain tonight and tomorrow. I thought it prudent to get some miles in on the trails today while the sun was occasionally shining.

I started with Leo and Theo. It was chilly, but I was moving and generating enough heat to be warm. Leo does a lot of running back and forth, jerking me when he hits the limits of his leash. That gets old after a while so I'd rein him in by shortening the leash so he had to walk right next to me. His preference is always to be "other there" even if it's no different from the ground and grass immediately under his nose and feet. That's just the puppy in him. He needs some training, which means I need to get him adopted soon, so I'm going to call tomorrow about getting him neutered.

2.25 miles
Theo is extremely patient but he enjoyed the walk more when I had Leo reined in close, then he was free from puppy pestering. I never had a younger sibling myself, and I was never an annoying little brother to my two older sisters, but I imagine that is how Theo feels about Leo. Honestly, Leo isn't that bad, he's just several years younger than anyone else around here.







After the walk with the two boys I took Della out for another solo hike. There was more sun by that time and the air was really warming up. There were other people, and dogs, in the woods but we were able to avoid any direct meetings.

Della is a striking dog, no doubt about it. I know she'd never win any titles in an AKC-judged Great Dane event, but she is a helluva dog. A big personality, probably a big ego if that can be said of a dog. But I love every little bit of her.



3.25 miles




I didn't have time for a third hike and I wanted to spend some time with Sadie anyway. I had put her out in Daneland today along with Arby. They were fine together and both would poke their heads out of the shed whenever I went out there. She seemed much more relaxed today. Sadie didn't eat anything last night, but she showed some interest in food this morning, although certainly not a voracious appetite one expects from a lab. She was fine in the crate in my office last night but the trip on the stairs was very difficult for her, as it was going downstairs this morning. I think she must have done all her prior living on one level, quite probably outside. The second trip up and down this afternoon was better though, so I think she'll catch on. She was more serious about eating in the evening too, although she still didn't consume every morsel of food in her bowl.

I took Maya out to Daneland for some off leash time in the yard while I put new tags on Sadie and spent some time with her. She's a typical lab, very friendly and people oriented. I tried bringing Leo over with her. Leo wanted to play, of course, and she showed that she's capable of handling him, but she also really didn't want to do so.

She's a sweet dog in every way that I've seen so far. She's met everyone around here now and hasn't had a bit of problem with anyone. Della came in this evening and barked in her face but she didn't take the bait, didn't really react at all. Her dear, sweet personality makes her backstory all the more puzzling and tragic. Sadie wasn't merely a stray as I wrote yesterday. You see, she didn't just wander off and get lost. She was dumped, and not simply surrendered to a shelter. She was pushed from a pickup that then sped off without her, abandoning this loyal dog on the streets without a care. What kind of person does that? That person didn't deserve this dog. We will find her someone who does.

Arby and Maya in Daneland this afternoon.


Sadie with Leo









1 comment:

Byron's Mom said...

To say I'm thankful she is with you is an understatement. What I would love to do to the disgusting person or persons who did this- well I can't even write that. Thank God these assholes didn't break her physically or spiritually.