Monday, April 20, 2020

Sunday and Monday

Arby in his new harness
Sunday I mostly worked in the yard, planting, mowing, and things like that. I had several shepherds and both Danes running around with me pretty much all day. When it came time for a walk, I took Trooper, Maya, and Arby, who hadn't been out much.

I found a new harness that fit Arby and worked great on him. It's very simple, drop over the head and one buckle under the body behind the back legs. Very quick and easy to get it on, which we both appreciated. It was a duplicate of one that I had ordered for my mother's pug. He and Arby are actually about the same size and shape. We walked one mile and had no problem with the leash getting under his legs. The mile walk was a bit more than Trooper needed, but he held up pretty well and he let me lift him up into the van when we were done.









Maya on point, after a squirrel ran up a tree.







Monday: Sunday's walk had been short so I was needing to get in some miles. Della was of the same opinion. I took Della and Theo out in the afternoon. The sky had mostly cleared and it was really a nice afternoon. We started at the trailhead behind the library because that makes it easy to add a mile to whatever walk I have in mind. We ended up going 5.66 miles by the time we were back to the van. That was enough to satisfy Della, for today.

We encountered one of Della's puppies, Stella, while we were out on the trail, not long after we started. I didn't realize who is was, just saw a dog up ahead so I grabbed the short lead and attached it to Della's Gentle Leader. Dog and owner had stepped a good distance off the trail to allow us to pass, and it wasn't until we were upon them that I realized who it was. I still wasn't entirely sure how Della would be, or Theo for that matter, so we went on our way, but I appreciated how well mannered Stella was and the trail etiquette displayed by her owner. I always pull my dogs off the trail when we meet someone coming, be it hiker, dog walker, biker, or horseback rider. I wish everyone did the same.








The wildflowers are pretty, but Della is the most
beautiful creature in the woods.



Mayapple, the flowers are hidden below the large leaves.





Stella and Claire, our first meeting on the trail but it
probably won't be the last.
Our 5.66 mile route
Theo was ready to be back in the van when it was over. Della could have kept going.









No comments: