Tuesday, April 28, 2020

The Covid Quandary

How do you socialize a dog at a time of social distancing, quarantine, and isolationist behavior?

Romeo, a/k/a the Big Hairy Beast, needs to meet strangers and get over his "stranger danger" reaction. First off, let me say that his reaction to strangers is nowhere near as bad as say, Trooper's. He doesn't go after a stranger, he's all about avoidance behavior, but he is fearful and does a bit of growling when a new person tries to approach him and touch him.

We invited our friend Bob (a three time prior adopter), to come over for an afternoon visit. We supplied some freezer burned turkey that I didn't want to eat myself, and Bob fed it to Romeo to win his love and affection. Clay has been doing this too, because Romeo only loves me at this point. The Big Hairy Beast will take food from anyone, however, although he's not exactly careful with his teeth when he does so. I found that out today myself when I picked up a stick to throw for him and he jumped to grab it out of my hand, grabbing one of my fingers along with the stick.

Bob persevered with the turkey and won the right of close contact at least. Romeo isn't likely to bite the hand that feeds him, but it will take a while before he gives his trust. I'm hopeful that with more people working with him, it will get easier for him each time and he'll come to see strangers as generous purveyors of cold cuts and hotdogs rather than as something to be feared.











No comments: