Sunday, January 29, 2023

Over the wall

We knew this day would come but we did not know just when. Boomer went over the wall in the puppy shed, into Holly's space and even out the doggie door. That called for some changes that will affect everyone around here.

The day was chilly, wet, and generally muddy and ugly, pretty typical winter day. But it wasn't raining mid-morning so I got the puppies outside for a while. They didn't seem to mind the weather and they really wanted and needed to get out and burn off some puppy power. I got bored and decided to go grocery shopping, as much for entertainment as for the need of food. 

While sitting in the parking lot at Giant I took a look at the surveillance cams in the puppy shed and saw Boomer sitting next to Holly, on the wrong side of the wall. I called Clay at home and asked him to go out and close the doggie door and put Boomer back where he belonged. While Clay was on his way out there, I saw Holly leave the shed through the doggie door followed by Boomer shortly thereafter. Clay found them both in Daneland, got them back inside, and closed the doggie door.

When I got home I took down the wall that was no longer an effective barrier between Holly and the pups, while giving them some more outside time. This gives the puppies more room, which they need, but it means that Holly has no way to get away from them. I could leave her with then but that means that she'll be harassed by them. I think it's time for her to move indoors, let her milk dry up, work on her house and crate training, and get her ready for her spay and adoption. 

I started by taking her on a late afternoon two mile walk with Leo. I took her out to visit the puppies when we got home and she learned how to open the big doors on the shed letting her and the pups out again. I found a key to lock that door and brought her in the house where I hope she'll be spending most of her time from now on. She seems to have different thoughts on that issue, however, so we will see. The last thing I need is another female dog in the house right now, but I think it's where she should be right now.

Boomer, displaying the athletic prowess that propelled him over the wall today.

Holly teaching while the other look on.

Adina

Holly can get through the tunnels too.





Yukon


Holly and Leo on today's walk.
















No comments: