Tuesday, January 31, 2023

Rainy day entertainment

I'm not ever a fan of rainy weather but it's particularly nasty when I've got puppies who want and need to be outdoors. They actually had some outdoor time early in the morning when it was wet but not actively raining. That's when Peggy demonstrated her new found tree climbing skills. I found her there when I went back after feeding the rest of the dogs. I ran back inside to get my camera and she was down when I came back, but not for long. Seems that she wanted to show me what she could do. She looked a bit like a koala bear hanging on the side of the tree, or perhaps a pup with the ambition to be a pole dancer. 

We've had several litters of puppies here in the past several years, but none that tried to climb the trees. This is probably a sign that their nails need to be cut, and the scratches on my lower legs can attest to that as well.

No one else joined Peggy in the tree and it was mostly an indoor day. They got out a few times in spite of the rain but I really needed something to entertain them inside so I broke out a few enrichment toys that have been around here from prior litters. They all involve food so the pups took to them right away. 

Holly spent a second night in bed with me and Elvis and will again tonight. She was in the house most of the day but made periodic "requests" to go out to see the puppies. I took breaks from work and we paid the puppies a visit. She didn't usually want to stay for too long, just wanted to check in on them.


She was a couple feet off the ground.

I wondered if she was stuck, but she got down on her own more than once.



They aren't on a food dish, they are swarming a snuffle mat.

This is the snuffle mat, many tight folds of soft cloth with kibble hidden inside.

This is another toy, with door that they can open to access bits of food.


And this is just a slow feeder, that challenges them to get the food.






Holly and Elvis in bed with me last night.



No comments: